Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming elk draw???

I have max points in Wyoming, but still a little confused as to how things go down.

I understand the split of NR to resident, and max points and No points etc, regular tag to special tag...But I'm don't quite get the sequence they do the actual draw in.

Do they draw by the unit, or do they draw from the total pool and taking your first choice until the units are full? Do they put everybody who has unit 117 as their first choice, in a pool and start with the max points and work out until its full, or do they just start pulling name from the main pool, starting with max point applicants until they fill the allotted positions for each unit and then move on to he others applicants.

Are your second and third choices, looked at with preferences points when drawn, if your first choice is not available?

I've put in some pretty low demand units or as general as my third pick for 5 years, and never get a third choice hunt. Just crappy luck for me or am I thinking wrong?

Maybe someone can inform me as to how they actually do the drawing and how your second and third choice hunts are drawn.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    To draw a unit as a second choice, the hunt must have leftover tags after those that put it as their first choice are drawn. In other words, don't put a unit for your second or third choice that has less than a 100% draw.

I find that guys often put a unit that is in fairly high demand as their second choice and just end up wasting that second choice opportunity.

My understanding points have no affect in the second or third choice drawings, is is a random draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you could possibly draw a 2nd choice using the "special tag system"

you need to read up on the states system, I can't tell you off the top of my head but I think WY, in fact pretty certain, WY draws all the 1st choices first before moving on to anyone's 2nd choice! therefore you really only have 1 premium unit choice...

some states check an applicants first 2 choices then move onto another hunter.... some states may check all your choices, up to 5 then move onto another hunter...

knowing how a state's system works can be crucial in how to apply...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    To draw a unit as a second choice, the hunt must have leftover tags after those that put it as their first choice are drawn. In other words, don't put a unit for your second or third choice that has less than a 100% draw.
    I believe that even if tags go undrawn, if the non resident cap is met, you won't draw it as a second choice. As evidenced by some of the tags that end up in the second drawing, even though more non residents applied than were drawn.

It's my understanding that about the only tag you can draw on a second choice is a general tag in the special draw (I'm pretty much only considering areas that a guy can go DIY, and not have to pay tresspass fees, etc.)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I believe that even if tags go undrawn, if the non resident cap is met, you won't draw it as a second choice. As evidenced by some of the tags that end up in the second drawing, even though more non residents applied than were drawn.

It's my understanding that about the only tag you can draw on a second choice is a general tag in the special draw (I'm pretty much only considering areas that a guy can go DIY, and not have to pay tresspass fees, etc.)
    Fink has a great point. Since the resident draw is a few months after the nonresident draw, nonresidents can only draw from their quota in the earlier nonresident draw. "Leftover" tags are not be determined until after the later resident draw.

To pick a second choice that you might actually have a chance of drawing, you would need to study the nonresident draw odds and see if there are any hunts that actually don't draw out as first choice. Here is the link to the Wyoming non-resident draw odds.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/HUNTING-1000157.aspx

Check the "random draw" section and look for hunts that have fewer first choice applicants than tags available.