Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I admire your ambition but feel like you might be trying to do too much on your first trip. I'll be the first to admit I don't have a lot of backpacking experience but if you honestly want to hike in somewhere for 9-10 days, that is going to be tough. Probably more so mentally than physically. If I were you, I'd find a spot to hike in a mile or so and plan on staying there 2-3 days and see how it goes. Then plan on going back go the truck, regroup and resupply and then go from there.

Also, you said your one buddy expected to stay in a hotel. ALL of you will need to be 100% on board with what you want to do. If he isnt fully into the backpacking thing, you will be having issues by day 2.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    I admire your ambition but feel like you might be trying to do too much on your first trip. I'll be the first to admit I don't have a lot of backpacking experience but if you honestly want to hike in somewhere for 9-10 days, that is going to be tough. Probably more so mentally than physically. If I were you, I'd find a spot to hike in a mile or so and plan on staying there 2-3 days and see how it goes. Then plan on going back go the truck, regroup and resupply and then go from there.

Also, you said your one buddy expected to stay in a hotel. ALL of you will need to be 100% on board with what you want to do. If he isnt fully into the backpacking thing, you will be having issues by day 2.
    Just kick my dream in the nuts why dont ya! Lol jk i hear ya man I'm just hoping with 4 of us goin it wont be as hard mentally. We shall see. Wont know till we get there and try. I really appreciate yalls input. Ive been doing a ton of reading on old threads and stuff too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshaaron91685 View Post
    Just kick my dream in the nuts why dont ya! Lol jk i hear ya man I'm just hoping with 4 of us goin it wont be as hard mentally. We shall see. Wont know till we get there and try. I really appreciate yalls input. Ive been doing a ton of reading on old threads and stuff too.
    Actually,

The more partners you have going, the harder it is going to be to keep everyone motivated. If you have a single similarly-minded partner, you will have your best chance of sticking with the hunt.

I actually like the idea of a not-so-deep trip to test the waters, and remaining flexible.

I don't mean to discourage you, I just want you to have the best introduction to mule deer hunting you can. You don't have to be 10 miles deep to have a great hunt. In fact just getting a mile off a public road can put you right in the action.

Researching online is great, but flying around Google Earth is a hell of a lot easier than post-hole-ing through 14 inches of snow to get into a glassing spot that is a total whiteout!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love using google earth for scouting. I've found some awesome spots here using it. Not sure what to look for though. Here the winds out of the N/NE 90% of the time so I look for good areas that can be approached from the south...what do you look for? Steep slopes, slopes facing a certain direction, just not sure where to start.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love using google earth for scouting. I've found some awesome spots here using it. Not sure what to look for though. Here the winds out of the N/NE 90% of the time so I look for good areas that can be approached from the south...what do you look for? Steep slopes, slopes facing a certain direction, just not sure where to start.
    Buy Mike Eastman's and also David Longs mule deer books and highlight the crap out of them. You will learn tons and tons from those 2 books. Also Cameron Hanes back country book would be really good for you too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Buy Mike Eastman's and also David Longs mule deer books and highlight the crap out of them. You will learn tons and tons from those 2 books. Also Cameron Hanes back country book would be really good for you too.
    Im actually waiting on david longs book to arrive. When I finish it I will order mikes. Good idea highlighting important stuff. Ive actually been jotting down notes as I read this forum too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All 3 of those books are worth their respective weight in gold...NO KIDDING at all! Make them a constant read as you'll find info. in them that you might have missed the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time you read over them. At least that's my experience. Try to actualize and picture their mistakes so you'll know them as if you committed them yourself. That way the mistakes YOU WILL make will be mistakes you made out of gaining experience. Nothing hurts more than having a nice buck for the taking all jacked up over a mistake that you were aware of prior to you making the mistake...TRUST ME this hurts! Don't go "all out" right away...imo this is the cause of most people throwing in the towel early. Patience plays apart in EVERY aspect of the hunt. And, going all out right of the gate is pretty much a lack of said patience aspect. Also, as someone said earlier. You all MUST be on the same page. It's hard hunting mulies solo...adding 3 more bodies to the scenerio is "whew" lol! Do your homework "before" you step into the classroom (backcountry) for the test. I'm sure this has never been an issue before....right lol ? Lastly, have a blast cause no matter what...believe me at the end of it you'll have earned it.
    HOYT SPYDER TURBO {70/27.5}
    A bonafide city boy...that calls the Backcountry his "hood!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im actually waiting on david longs book to arrive. When I finish it I will order mikes. Good idea highlighting important stuff. Ive actually been jotting down notes as I read this forum too.
    All 3 of those books are worth their respective weight in gold...NO KIDDING at all! Make them a constant read as you'll find info. in them that you might have missed the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time you read over them. At least that's my experience. Try to actualize and picture their mistakes so you'll know them as if you committed them yourself. That way the mistakes YOU WILL make will be mistakes you made out of gaining experience. Nothing hurts more than having a nice buck for the taking all jacked up over a mistake that you were aware of prior to you making the mistake...TRUST ME this hurts! Don't go "all out" right away...imo this is the cause of most people throwing in the towel early. Patience plays apart in EVERY aspect of the hunt. And, going all out right of the gate is pretty much a lack of said patience aspect. Also, as someone said earlier. You all MUST be on the same page. It's hard hunting mulies solo...adding 3 more bodies to the scenerio is "whew" lol! Do your homework "before" you step into the classroom (backcountry) for the test. I'm sure this has never been an issue before....right lol ? Lastly, have a blast cause no matter what...believe me at the end of it you'll have earned it.
    HOYT SPYDER TURBO {70/27.5}
    A bonafide city boy...that calls the Backcountry his "hood!"

Thanks
    Congratulations

I would heed this advice!!!!

I too don't have a lot of backcountry experience. I'm working on changing that... But I outfitted my self with gear this summer and tested the waters this Fall a few times. Just the things I learned on a couple quick trips, both about me and my gear, was very surprising. A little experience goes a long ways. I'm already planning for next year and looking at where I can make improvements and whatnot.

You guys are planning a very demanding hunt. 10 days in the backcountry, with no experience, with 4 people. You have the time (2 years), I really think you guys should get to a state where you can test your selves and gear and gain some experience on some shorter hunts, prior to tackling something like that. You will learn so much and when the time comes to do the big trip, you'll be much more prepared and confident. I'm building preference points for a hunt such as you described. But I intend to have many nights in the backcountry logged under my belt before I make that journey.

Now, if you don't want to listen to me or NDHunter, listen to Bitterroot Bulls. He has the experience.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You need to stop romanticizing this trip. Plan a bit more realistically.

There was good advice by NDHunter. I hunt in the backcountry for more than 30 days each year, some years much closer to 60 days. It is very rare that I do a 10 day hunt. Plan for no more than 4-5 days on a single trip, then plan to come out and resupply and go back in if necessary. You can't carry enough food and clothes for a 10 day hunt, especially in the late season with snow on the ground. Even more so as rookies.
    At the very least, count on some members of your party being successful and packing out their deer to the truck early. They can always come back in carrying some resupply, but don't be too surprised when they decide to go home after they have killed their bucks. Somehow the fun of sleeping on the ground and eating freeze dried meals diminishes quickly when you don't have a tag anymore. Add a little snow and below zero temps in November, and the trip will take on more of the characteristics of a survival mission than a hunt.
    You can hunt just as effectively, probably more so, by doing 2 or three separate trip in a 10 day period. You get the chance to resupply, add the items you forgot the first trip, and leave behind the useless stuff on the next trip in, and also packout any deer that were harvested. You can also eat a good meal at the road, get into clean and dry clothes, and overall just improve your attitude for the next part of the trip.
    There is absolutely no need for handguns if you are already packing a rifle, even in the heart of grizzly country. Anybody who pictures themselves unholstering a handgun during a grizzly attack while they have a rifle on their shoulder is an idiot. Best case, if somebody takes a deer early, and wants to leave their rifle at the truck for the rest of the trip, then they might carry a handgun.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but a dose of reality is needed. I hope you have a great trip, but the odds of that go up considerably if you are a bit more realistic. Most people new to hunting the west base out of a camp at the road, and either day hunt or take short overnight trips into the backcountry. You can have a great hunt this way, and learn a lot about the experience before trying to tackle an extended backcountry trip.

llp