Thanks

10 resident deer points.

Hi everyone I am looking for an opinion or suggestions on where to burn 10 or more preference points ( or a little bit less ) for a deer hunt in the next 2 or 3 years. Here is the situation... I have hunted eastern plains muley and whitetail for about 5 years with really good luck. I shot a 192&3/8 non typical muley in velvet in 09 with a bow so i know my chances of doing that again in my life are pretty slim. Anyways If you had 10 pref points and you could hunt a high country muley with any type of weapon would you go to 74 or 21 or maybe sacrifice a few points and hunt 55 in the later seasons? Hold on to the points and wait for 103 so a good size whitetail could be an option? Or maybe RFW units 104, 211 or 85 in a few more years? I would love to hear from anyone who has scouted these areas or has info on quality animals around them. I will be scouting this summer and also collecting more points as the time passes. Thanks for your thoughts!

sorry i guess i should state that i live in the greatest state ever- Colorado

Thanks
    Eagle county and Gunnison County have produced the highest number of Boone and Crockett bucks the last 10 years.

The Gunnison units have been down since the hard winter in 2007, but if you don't get a hard winter, I'll bet in a year or two those units will be getting back up to par. It is hard to beat Unit 55, 66 and 67. Hopefully they will offer 4th season tags again in the next few years.

In Eagle country, I understand that Unit 44 is the star unit. Deer numbers are down.

If I was a resident with 10 points I would hold out 2-5 years for the age class to develop in the bucks in those units and they go for a 4th season tag.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

MRC (12-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks Hunter i have been looking in the area but am not quite sure where to begin because i have not spent much time in that part of the state. This sounds kind of stupid but i would like to hunt one in the early season in hopes of shooting one covered in velvet again. The velvet look is very mesmerizing to me.

Thanks
    MRC,

You mentioned RFW (assuming you ment Ranching for Wildlife) and I wondered how much research on it you have done. I hunted elk on a RFW tag in 2007 and was really disappointed. I can only speak from that prospective, not early archery deer. If you understand the motivation that an outfitter/rancher has to enroll their property in this program you might want to really dig into this. If they enroll in RFW, they get lots of tags allocated to them to resell to their guided customers. In return thay have to allow a limited number of Colorado residents to hunt basically for free. They set their own seasons and rules. When we were allowed to hunt, it was after all their guided hunts were basically over. The ranch had been pounded really hard and most of the animals were pretty well gone into the adjoining NF. There were 10 hunters and only 2 elk killed. I shot the only bull and my buddy got a cow. We hunted 4 days before we even saw an animal.I really thought I wasted the 7 points it took to draw the tag.

Just my take on MY RFW experience. Never again!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

MRC (12-13-2012)

Thanks
    I have not dug very deep into the rfw units and how many tags are applicable to each unit. I understand the fewer the tags the better the odds are of still having animals around. Also the type of outfitters for each unit will vary, If the outfitters road hunted or used atv's it would benefit my experience because i don't hunt that way. I can't relate to your struggle with others coming in and taking all the goods before you get there but i have an idea about how that goes. My dad and i were scouting an elk rfw unit a couple years ago for him and we ran into people who had already paid for the tags and they were going to get first dibs on everything so he took a minute to think about it and decided against hunting that way with that many points being risked. I guess i would have to be really captivated by the terrain and quality of animals before i would take my chance but that's why i'm asking around. I like to hear everyone's opinion!