Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

playing the wind?

This last archery season I chased a 180" buck for the whole season and could not get the wind right. No matter where I set up on his route the wind was wrong I blew him out several times. His route couldn't have any better as far as the wind direction goes. I guess my question is what's next? How do I get within bow range of this smart old buck? It's been driving me nuts since the season ended trying to figure out a new plan for next year. I guess it's true what they say about big bucks once they have lived through 4 or 5 seasons it's a whole different ball game!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In my experience those big guys move according to the wind, they walk into the wind so they are always downwind of where they are headed. May be a little different out here in the plains vs. high country, but I hunted a big mulie for almost three weeks because of what you are talking about (everytime he left his bed him and about a dozen other deer would walk with their nose in the wind, and usually not until it was too dark to try anything. Finally after 20 days, I caught him moving away from his does with about a 30mph wind in MY face, he bedded and I was able to stalk real close and wait him out. Ive had good luck on real windy days, bc it hides a lot of noise and is usually more consistent in direction than calmer swirling winds allowing me to move. Anyways, I think you really have to be patient sometimes on those big guys, bc they don't screw up very often to allow you the chance to get in range of them. Just keep an eye on them and be ready to get aggressive only when the time is right. Just hope he made it through rifle season and he will be bigger next year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's true he would wait for the wind to be constant before he would move and always had the wind in his face. He would always dissappear into the timber to bed so I had no idea where he was. I've stalked deer in their bed before but no matter how many times I watched him go into the timber I couldn't find him. I love the chase and hopefully he will make it to next year.