Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Wow! This is a great subject! My interest in it doesn’t stem from the kind of success you guys are writing about. But, that doesn’t mean I’m not always looking!

Exploration and discovery is one of the most rewarding and sometimes exciting aspects of hunting. I dream of finding a honey hole full of trophy bucks (or even one trophy buck) like you fellows are describing. All my hunting life I have pushed myself to not fall into the rut of only hunting the areas I am most familiar with, and to always try out new and unusual country, off the beaten path and out of the mainstream of hunting pressure. I’ve had some minor successes, but nothing like what you guys have found in Nevada and Oregon. I’m envious! However, I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to hearing about your results. Mike T.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Did this thread start a bit different? It seems a part of a post has been deleted I cant quite remember if it was this thread or not? A pm would help.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I found a honey hole last season while hunting with my dad outside or Carlin, NV. it is a hidden bowl about a mile into the Independence Mountains and weve shot 4 bucks there

Thanks
    Congratulations
    While in Wyoming hunting antelope, my pard and I decided to go to the top of a big ridge (highest vantage point in the area) the day before season opened. We took our spotting scopes and started looking across the open areas below us for goats. I looked down below us in a pretty big canyon and saw 3 of the biggest buck mulies I have seen in awhile feeding. I would estimate all at least 180. We watched them awhile and I took some video of them. That was in 2005.

This year we were in the same place and decided to do the same thing again. In the same canyon we saw 12 bucks! Again there were 5 or 6 really big bruisers (I am sure one was close to 30")and and the rest were average bucks. I really don't think these deer ever get hunted because it is really secluded from everyone antelope hunting and not what most hunters would consider good deer habitat. You can't see the canyon from below or from either side, you have to be above it to see it. I think they are there because they are really left alone and no one hunts them. The bad part is that it is almost impossible to draw a tag. I have max NR points and i put in every year. Draw success is about 15% with max points.

Maybe one of these years.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    While helping a guy in Colorado I had spent all morning glassing a canyon I had been given a tip about and picked out some young bucks but nothing special. Returned to the truck and was taking a leak & filling up a glass w/ some good ol' Red Diamond tea and noticed movement about 1000yds away on the side of a ridge. Ended up it was a 215" buck that we'd lost when some hunters bumped him during 2nd season holed up where he could see everything going on for miles. Since then I check that spot first & it's produced a 190s buck, 30"er & a cpl passed 180" deer. This past yr I found an old buck there, but he was just a big broken up 3pt. What has been more amazing is the number of people that are deer hunting that manage to drive right by the deer even when they're out in the open.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    While this doesn't have anything to do with mule deer, it's along the same lines. In 2009, the day before the Montana general opener, my dad and I were helping my uncle move some cattle off their summer pasture and separating the pairs. Since it was going to be a long day, we started at day break, which proved to be an obviously really good time to be out spotting animals. As I rode across the field picking up stragglers, I couldn't help but notice a substantial herd of elk that were grazing out of the timber on a section that was Block Management. My dad and I had already made up our minds to go to our usual spot, which was several miles away, for opening day, but in light of the sure evidence of elk in an area we could hunt, we made a last second change. We had never even stepped foot on this stretch of land and made the decision to go for it. We just studied some maps that night and walked in in the dark. I ended up shooting the biggest bull I've gotten yet, the next day. This was no secret "honey hole," as there were a ton of guys hunting the same spot, but it was definitely an interesting way to find a new hunting area.

Here's a few shots from the day before chasing cows and the day after with my bull: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7126_1254876577336_3080098_n.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	5453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13043_1289363962969_5963857_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	5454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7126_1254669292154_3329193_n.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	5455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7126_1254669332155_6186620_n.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	5456

I shot the bull in the timber just above the cows.
    Last edited by MSUcat61; 04-19-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is an amzing buck your buddy took ! What a find !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUcat61 View Post
    While this doesn't have anything to do with mule deer, it's along the same lines. In 2009, the day before the Montana general opener, my dad and I were helping my uncle move some cattle off their summer pasture and separating the pairs. Since it was going to be a long day, we started at day break, which proved to be an obviously really good time to be out spotting animals. As I rode across the field picking up stragglers, I couldn't help but notice a substantial herd of elk that were grazing out of the timber on a section that was Block Management. My dad and I had already made up our minds to go to our usual spot, which was several miles away, for opening day, but in light of the sure evidence of elk in an area we could hunt, we made a last second change. We had never even stepped foot on this stretch of land and made the decision to go for it. We just studied some maps that night and walked in in the dark. I ended up shooting the biggest bull I've gotten yet, the next day. This was no secret "honey hole," as there were a ton of guys hunting the same spot, but it was definitely an interesting way to find a new hunting area.

Here's a few shots from the day before chasing cows and the day after with my bull: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7126_1254876577336_3080098_n.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	5453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13043_1289363962969_5963857_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	5454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7126_1254669292154_3329193_n.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	5455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7126_1254669332155_6186620_n.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	5456

I shot the bull in the timber just above the cows.
    some beautiful country MSU!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    some beautiful country MSU!
    Some call it God's country...
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    LOL...that's what they call it where I'm from! Looks pretty similar...