Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyo 22,118,111 Elk. The Dilemma

I lost my patience a couple years ago and burned my points on a general unit because I was ready to hunt elk. Now I am living through my wife who is one point behind max. I am full of questions and lack of advice right now so here we go. Anyone hunt Unit 22? Is it worth waiting a few more years? Unit 118, Is the private/access impossible for a DIY non resident? The draw odds are a little better but whats the catch? Unit 111 is getting closer on points but are the bulls as good? She can hunt Archery or Rifle and the rough country is not a problem so just lookin for some advice. 22, 111, 118 lets B.S.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If she is one point behind max she may be waiting a very long time for any of the tags you have mentioned........not trying to be rude just saying.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was looking at the draw odds and I thought she was starting to get in the running for 111 and 118 Special license but I could be wrong and will look again. I knew she was a ways out for 22 and thats why I was inquiring if it was that much better than the other two to justify the wait. Thanks for the reply and I will check those draw odds again. And I didnt take it as rude, at least you willing to answer and help a guy make up his mind.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes if your willing to go with the special tag you will have more options. Good luck with your decision,draw and hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My opinion is worth nothing but I would hold out for 22 if those three areas were my only options.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Elkoholic for the reply, your opinion does matter. I just picked those areas because the quality seems pretty good and of course the lack of Grizzly and wilderness. I was putting her in for some other areas but the draw odds were not getting any easier. These three are getting closer so I said what the heck. Again I appreciate the reply, happy hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've never hunted those areas; the closest I've been is Area 7. I am interested in 22 though. You may want to consider the Bighorns?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    111 is a real sleeper and a good area to archery hunt. There are some good bulls in there with very limited pressure and some good access. This area has limited motorized traffic and has some great foot traffic only areas, not even a wheeled game cart can go in. I'd say a good bull here is going to be in the 330 range with potential to see a 350+. The rifle hunt can be tricky here but again, archery hunting here can be second to none.

22 is obviously worth the wait but that could be a long wait.

Good Luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HayHay98 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Elkoholic, We had looked at the Bighorns before but was talked out of it by a guy I know. We ended up putting in for 7 last year and I was actually glad she didn't draw just because of the tag numbers. I am sure it is a good area but I was sweating it after the draw deadline because she would rather hunt big bulls with low pressure. Thanks again

Thanks
    Congratulations
    HayHay, Thats just the kind of goods I was looking for. I am glad to hear about the "foot soldier"country as that appeals to us. We will put in and see what happens. Where is your Ram from on the picture? Thanks again.