Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dying to kill View Post
    i would sure like to see an article on why nm refuses to input a point system,this is the closest elk state to me and i can never seem to draw it not only that but i can only swing 1 elk hunt per year and by the time nm s results are posted i need to already have concrete plans. id appriciate that article!!
    I'd be careful what you wish for.. At least with a random draw, you'll have just as much a chance to draw a tag in the most coveted units as the next guy. If you're just getting in the points game in states like CO, AZ and UT, you are about 20 years behind schedule, and will statistically never draw the best CO units, and stand a very small chance of drawing top units in UT or AZ. Even in WY, with a points system only 7 years old, your chances of drawing a top end unit are slim, and are going to require a very long wait.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thats a good thought fink i see your angle its just aggervating to drive 5 hours from my door and see elk but not get a tag year after year
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I'd be careful what you wish for.. At least with a random draw, you'll have just as much a chance to draw a tag in the most coveted units as the next guy. If you're just getting in the points game in states like CO, AZ and UT, you are about 20 years behind schedule, and will statistically never draw the best CO units, and stand a very small chance of drawing top units in UT or AZ. Even in WY, with a points system only 7 years old, your chances of drawing a top end unit are slim, and are going to require a very long wait.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    I'd like to see info on Oryx and Ibex please.
    I second that! I'm also interested in Oryx & Ibex.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dying to kill View Post
    thats a good thought fink i see your angle its just aggervating to drive 5 hours from my door and see elk but not get a tag year after year
    At least you can find landowner tags to buy there still.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm really glad that NM doesn't have a point system because it allows the DIY public land hunter like me to have the possibility to draw a great unit every year whereas the retarted point system just makes everyone wait ten to fifteen years to hunt which is ridiculous!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hunted 2nd Rifle Valle Vidal in 2012 - Unbelievable area. Scouted during 1st Bow season, what a treat. It looks like Rocky Mtn National Park or Yellowstone but you are there with a tag and your weapon of choice. I know we all want a 350+ bull, but on a daily basis seeing herds of elk and 5 - 10 branch antlered bulls is what 80%-90% of elk hunters would die for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0372.jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This isn't for New Mexico but in the Wyoming elk MRS, there are two "5" point columns in the chart showing pref point and such. I assume that was a mistake and it should have been a 5 and 6 point column? Also, in the 2013 projected application chart, you might want to check the spelling of February under the "results posted" column for Wyoming.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I would discuss the fact that "if" you happen to draw an antelope tag, for the most part, you will be assigned to a ranch. Depending on your assignment and what other plans the rancher may have in the works (like other hunters paying top dollar on guided hunts), or the number of animals on his place your outcome may be different than you expect. I know NM is one of "the" places for truly big antelope, just something to be aware of.

One of my employees drew a tag in the southern part of the state and when he showed up for the hunt the rancher told him if he sees a legal antelope he'd better shoot it. Due to the drought he had no water on his place and hadn't seen any antelope for a while. He got lucky on the last day, and shot a small buck just over is ears that was with another doe and those were the only 2 antelop he saw on 20,000+ acres in 3 days.

On the + side it truly is a state where luck of the draw comes into play. When looking at draw odds last year I notice a NR drew a Big Horn Sheep on his 2nd choice! Maybe it was a typo, but with the system we have in place, it is possible. Another plus is the opportunity for youth hunts and mobility impaired hunts. We really give the kids and mobility impaired a decent chance with a lot of the hunts going 100% draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am an outfitter in northern NM and could help with some input. For unit wide landowner tags a good place to contact is huntinfool.com out of Utah. They buy up and then resale alot of those tags for resonable prices. The draw is going completely paperless and results will be out in april this year. Maybe NM should look into a point system but I think the draw is always worth a try. At least you know if you do draw you will have great hunting and not have to battle crowds of hunters. The main concern for myself and most other hunters is the continuing draught. If we don't get some good snow and rain it could get really tough.
    Happy Huntin!
    Trifecta Outdoors
    Jared Robinson
    505-692-0710

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifecta Outdoors View Post
    I am an outfitter in northern NM and could help with some input. For unit wide landowner tags a good place to contact is huntinfool.com out of Utah. They buy up and then resale alot of those tags for resonable prices.
    Somehow, I doubt Eastmans will want to support one of their direct competitors in the MRS section.