Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thinking of tossing it in on the points.

I am still overseas until the end of next year, I have 2 or 3 points for Wyoming's sheep/moose program and 1 point in Utah, Nevada and Arizona.

I am almost 40.

I have a rare blood disease and probably won't see 60. So far I am the 2nd oldest living person in my family history with the disease. No pity you bastards! I have lived more than anyone I know!

Seriously, what are the my odds on sheep/moose Wyoming and so on.

Is it worth $1000 a year to feed these 4 states? I am not 10 points in or I wouldn't even consider throwing it away, I got pissed at Wyoming when they changed it to $100, and as I am an Alaska resident, and not my Wyoming home I said "screw you guys I am going home".

Well in 2011 I started thinking, maybe I should get back in this. Did "some" research and bought points, and last year I bought points in AZ, Nevada and Utah.

Honestly, what would you do?

Would you quit sending out $1000 not to hunt, or would you keep buying points?

I can hunt 99% percent of what I want to hunt in my lifetime for under $10,000. I know it doesn't make sense financially I just need someone else to hug me and tell me I am doing the right thing.

I screwed up and quit playing the Wyoming sheep game in the beginning, and I regret it now. As I would be max points for both.

thanks,

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here's my self affirmation.

My priorities in life are mountain goats, pronghorns and elk in that order. Everything else is gravy.

Unless I decide because of a lack of job prospects to go to gradschool when I retire, and I can find a reasonable paying job we should have enough dough (I am hoping anyway) to afford 1 or 2 Canada/Foreign hunts a year.

Last year in Utah and Arizona, bought points for everything, with the hopes of one day drawing a big antelope area. But realistically elk and antelope in Arizona are like sheep tags in Wyoming.

I know the best thing to do is eat the 2 points, and hunt foreign for the things that interest me. Or buy land owner tags for elk/antelope in New Mexico and Texas.

Am I wrong with the stretch of thinking?

Anyone else have point panic going on?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I only pick up sheep points in the areas that I'm already applying for anyways, I have a handful of points in WY, CO, AZ and UT.. At 30, I'll be an old man by the time I draw some of these tags, and realistically (if they don't change the systems on us) I could never draw some of the most coveted tags, like the NW corner of CO, or the strip for AZ deer, or even units 9 or 10 for AZ elk..

Part of me says that I was stupid for getting into the points game, I should have just bought landowner vouchers for CO and NM every other year or so.. But, at the same time, it's like buying insurance, who knows what could come down the pike in the next few years.

Honestly, if I were just applying for sheep, and dropping a grand a year to do so, I'd seriously consider just saving the money, and going to Canada.. The odds of drawing more than one sheep tag are horrible, and for 10 years of applying, you could have bought hunt elsewhere.

That being said, somebody has to draw the tags, and you damn sure won't be the guy if your name isn't in the hat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    The odds of drawing more than one sheep tag are horrible, and for 10 years of applying, you could have bought hunt elsewhere.
    I've always looked at collecting points as the "cheaper" way to hopefully acquire a few quality tags/ hunts over the years. Your comment has me asking myself...am I looking at this wrong??? How could 10 years of applying equal $10K to $20K or more it costs to hunt "elsewhere" for sheep, goat, moose etc? Definitely not flaming you, I'm curious if I'm missing something?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think you guys have wised up with how little value the points are in your situation. I think your money is better spent elsewhere like you said.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    I've always looked at collecting points as the "cheaper" way to hopefully acquire a few quality tags/ hunts over the years. Your comment has me asking myself...am I looking at this wrong??? How could 10 years of applying equal $10K to $20K or more it costs to hunt "elsewhere" for sheep, goat, moose etc? Definitely not flaming you, I'm curious if I'm missing something?
    I figure if he's dropping $1k a year for 10 years, he's spent about $10k, for a roughly 1% chance of drawing a tag. If he's 40 now, what are the chances of drawing 1, let alone 2 tags, before he turns, 70? And, can a guy even be in sheep shape at age 70? I know there are few guys on here that are in really good shape at or near that age, but I don't think that to be the norm.

So, if you just use 60 as the latest he will be able to go and hunt hard, he has 20 years of applications, all offering somewhere around 1% odds. Statistically, you should draw each tag within 100 years, and you're only putting 20 towards it... Hardly a guarantee

While you may not be able to fund an entire hunt with 10 years of applying, you certainly could make a fairly substantial dent in the cost, moreso, when you consider 10 years of interest on those monies.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If a guy's spending $1K a year he's applying for more than just sheep tags in each state. If this is the case he would probably draw an occasional elk, deer, or antelope tag too with the chance at moose, sheep or goat. Either way I get your point. It costs a lot of money to apply for out of state tags with little chance at drawing a tag as far as the best units and moose, sheep and goat tags are concerned. I still think it's a better option for a guy who applies for several species and wants to hunt DIY. I fork over somewhere between $400 to $500 every year to apply in 4 to 6 states. I WILL draw quality tags once in awhile. It would take me 20 years to afford a $10K hunt which is a bare minimum for hunts I'm interested in. All the while hunting less than great OTC units which we all know how great those are... I guess each person has to decide for themselves what makes the most sense. I struggle with it every year...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    With license costs and points fees, it doesn't take long to spend a grand in app fees each year. My sunk costs are over $2K each year, without ever drawing a tag. Somewhere in the range of $200-300 per state on avearge, but some are more and very few are less. Applying for points only is a fools game unless you are in on the ground floor. Even then it is questionable, unless you are hunting some OTC units each year as well, to offset the license costs to apply.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For sure apply everywhere there is a random draw and its cheap. Wyoming is getting worse and they are about to jack up the costs.

Utah, New Mexico, Montana you should definitely apply in, the rest, its harder to justify.

Heck if you aren't going to live that long, take out a 2nd mortgage and go kill a stone and a bighorn in Canada, when you kick off they'll sell the house anyway, its your money, die broke and happy and with lots of taxidermy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nobody has mentioned Idaho yet. If you aren't applying there, that needs to be your top priority. Yea you throw away $150 each year for just one application but you will actually have a pretty good chance of drawing . As for Wyoming, maybe apply in the easiest units and hope to get lucky. That being said, if you are going to do points only for Wyoming, I wouldn't do it. Like someone else said, you need to be applying for the actual tag, assuming you have the cash to front the tag fee.