Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurman24 View Post
    I don't have any input as far as information but I personally would be interested in seeing more info in the MRS about general areas. The way the system is set up in Montana you really need two plans. One for a general hunt and one for if you actually draw a limited. It's hard to decipher the hunt statistics from Montana's site. It is hard for me to justify putting in for a tag in Montana when I really don't know what I am getting and I can hunt Wyoming pretty much every year with at least a clue as to what to expect. I would love to go hunt Montana but I struggle to fit all the pieces together more so than other states.
    rfurmman,

Each year I compile a 4-6 page general season OTC article for Montana. This article goes in the July/August issue or somewhere close to that. My goal is to do just what you mentioned above, create two separate options, as many people don't draw special tags or don't want to draw them. Therefore, I have been building a good foundation for nonresidents or residents to start with. Hope this helps, and feel free to hit me up with more questions any time.

Jordan Breshears

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Almost all limited entry permits restrict you to that district only. A few are good for multiple districts though. It will say in the "regulations by district" under the Permit heading.
    Sorry guys, I just reread this.

Mule Deer Buck Permits restrict you to that permit's district only. Most Elk permits allow you to use your general elk license in any general district IN ADDITION TO the special opportunity your permit provides.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wish Eastmans' would bash Montana's non-resident drawing process!
    -no points only option for limited permit areas, or if you want a 80% refund then you can, ie for about $200 bucks you can build points only.

-points only options for sheep/moose/goat, but require at least half up front, full tag fee would lend itself to just applying for tags vs. points only IMO, and 0 up front would let everyone who's not serious flood the system and make odds worse.

I could write a book...
    -turn the breaks elk hunts into a 2 or 3 season archery hunt like new mexico.

-make the non-res/resident multiplier 10x or less, not 43x like it is in some cases.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Mule Deer Buck Permits restrict you to that permit's district only. Most Elk permits allow you to use your general elk license in any general district IN ADDITION TO the special opportunity your permit provides.
    So, if you buy one of those combo licenses, you can hunt elk all over in general units but your deer permit is limited -- Is that correct?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdy View Post
    So, if you buy one of those combo licenses, you can hunt elk all over in general units but your deer permit is limited -- Is that correct?
    No. If you get the deer/elk licenses you can hunt any general district under the general restrictions for deer AND elk.

If you draw a mule deer buck PERMIT, you can only hunt the permitted district for buck mule deer. Your deer license is now only good for the permitted district for mule deer bucks. You can no longer hunt general districts state wide for mule deer bucks.

If you draw an elk PERMIT, you can hunt the permitted district AND you can still hunt any other general elk district under the general restrictions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Breshears View Post
    rfurmman,

Each year I compile a 4-6 page general season OTC article for Montana. This article goes in the July/August issue or somewhere close to that. My goal is to do just what you mentioned above, create two separate options, as many people don't draw special tags or don't want to draw them. Therefore, I have been building a good foundation for nonresidents or residents to start with. Hope this helps, and feel free to hit me up with more questions any time.

Jordan Breshears
    They could easily get rid of this 2 tag system... general/special permit.

Like other states, they should have a 2nd choice option for a general tag, New Mexico has a 4th choice option/regional tag type option, and other states, WY I believe allows some to draw a general tag as a 2nd choice.

I would bet most non-res who are trying to draw a special elk permit area DO NOT want a general tag. Which may actually free up more general tags for residents and non-res who specifically want a general tag.