Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Just my opinion, as I certainly don't have a dog in this fight.. But, I think you could chase around the perfect scenario for forever.. Tags are so limited in the units that you are considering, and it only takes one good buck to make the hunt..
    Take this year for example, the vast majority of the country was (is) in a severe drought, yet some mighty fine animals hit the dirt all across the country.
    Again, just my opinion, as I'm not the guy who has diligently built the points to hunt those units. I'd personally be more afraid of the AZGF drastically changing tag quotas, or selling off to SFW than I would about 10 more fawns per 100 being born.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "I'd personally be more afraid of the AZGF drastically changing tag quotas, or selling off to SFW than I would about 10 more fawns per 100 being born."

Yes, unfortunately nobody can argue with that. Waited 11 years for unit 1 elk and they raised the quota from 150 to 245 now to 350 this year, and success rates have plummeted. SFW.........just vomited in my mouth a little.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Yes, unfortunately nobody can argue with that. Waited 11 years for unit 1 elk and they raised the quota from 150 to 245 now to 350 this year, and success rates have plummeted. SFW.........just vomited in my mouth a little.
    Zim...as far as elk hunting, tne thing to keep in mind is on Unit 3A and 3C some of the very best years were after the Rodeo Chediski fire, and tag numbers were doubled and tripled on those units. You have a similar scenario in Unit 1 with the 2011 Wallow fire on Unit 1.

Back to the antelope hunting, it is more like an extra 30 fawns per 100 does (23 fawns compared to 53 fawns per year). With the antelope population on Unit 10, I'm estimating that equates to around 200 more bucks a year on Unit 10. I realize you never have the perfect scenario, but many of my most disappointing hunts have come from poor timing (hunting a drought year, hunting after a unit peaks and is on the way down, etc).
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 01-04-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ya I had a talk with my hunting buddy about all this and we agreed to stick with unit 1 and let the chips fall. And with unit 10 lope I'm going to wait until 2014 or 2015. I'm way over the points it takes to draw so not worried if there is a spike in applicants due to increased publicity should applicants increase there. Given the sparse terrain and archery limitations sounds like a shot opportunity needs more targets. I will apply for rifle there but know I won't draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Zim, if you have plenty of points to draw Unit 10 archery antelope, you ought to check out Unit 9 since 2012 was the first year there was an antelope season and there were only 5 archery tags. It looks like it took a couple more points an archery tag than Unit 10 to draw. The auction tag buck was taken in Unit 9 in in 2011 (91 B&C) and a 91 5/8 buck was killed there in 2012. Problem in Arizona with archery hunting antelope is if you get the fall monsoon rains, waterhole hunting is suddenly very difficult.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oh wow I see what you are saying. Several NR's with 14, 15 points applied there. However, I don't think there are any tags in the preference pool, says only one NR drew in the random draw. I have 17 points. I think in unit 10 I'd be about guaranteed a tag?
    Last edited by Zim; 01-05-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oh wow I see what you are saying. Several NR's with 14, 15 points applied there. However, I don't think there are any tags in the preference pool, says only one NR drew in the random draw. I have 17 points. I think in unit 10 I'd be about guaranteed a tag?
    Zim, there were two applicants in Unit 9 (antelope) last year with 15 points and according to Huntin Fool, one resident drew in the max 20% pass pool with 15 points. You would have drawn the tag with 16 points last year. From what I understand there will be 5 tags again this year, so one will go in the 20% pass pool.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Zim, there were two applicants in Unit 9 (antelope) last year with 15 points and according to Huntin Fool, one resident drew in the max 20% pass pool with 15 points. You would have drawn the tag with 16 points last year. From what I understand there will be 5 tags again this year, so one will go in the 20% pass pool.
    Don't the lope just run back and forth from 9 to 10? Is there much difference? Curious if the coyote control in 10 affects the age class in 9. Do you know what the success rate was on the unit 9 hunt last year? It is not shown on HT.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't the lope just run back and forth from 9 to 10? Is there much difference? Curious if the coyote control in 10 affects the age class in 9. Do you know what the success rate was on the unit 9 hunt last year? It is not shown on HT.
    First archery tags were on Unit 9 this past fall, and the harvest stats aren't published by the state until around June. I have read that the SW part of Unit 9 is the best, right up against Unit 10. I had an archery elk tag in 9 back in 2001 and there were antelope further east as well.

Here is a link to the 2012 report from AZF&G, you can see the herd stats and the harvest stats:

http://www.azgfd.gov/regs/HuntArizona2012.pdf
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 01-05-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow the numbers look pretty good for unit 9. Buck to doe ratio is almost triple that of unit 10. Would like to see the harvest success, but with only 5 tags that is not much of a sample size anyway. I may call the biologist there to get his take prior to applying.