Thanks

What elk units in Wyoming should I be investigating?

Hello to everyone on the forum.

I am a nonresident from Michigan who is hoping to go on his first elk hunt in the next two years. I am a teacher with limited time off and I want to have the best experience I can when I go because it might be another 10 years before I can get back. I will hire a outfitter due to the lack of time and knowledge. I have max points and am in great physical shape. I would like to use my archery equipment but since it would be my first trip I have not ruled out gun hunting either. I would like the opportunity to shoot/see a quality bull (320+).

I would love to get opinions from those with more experience on units, outfitters, etc. I realize that not every outfitters is as good as others especially when dealing with archery hunters so opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
    I would go on to the Wyoming outfitters and guides association website. There they list all the outfitters licensed to hunt in Wyo. All the info you need to contact them will be there. Decide whch unit you want to hunt and then find an outfitter in that area.

Thanks
    Lots of people seem to love unit 7. From what I've researched though, some think there have been too many tags being issued there and that the quality is down. On a private ranch though I'm sure there are some big bulls. Some of the Wyoming guys might have some better info

Thanks
    First off, I'd read the latest eastmans MRS on Wyoming. Seems they are rating the desert units in the south central areas the best. Eastmans' cautions about area 7 and indicate it might be downgraded but like ndhunter said, I'm sure a private land hunt in area 7 would be great. I've elk hunted with a couple of different outfitters in wyoming; if interested in more details just send me a PM.

Thanks
    If you are considering a guided hunt, Area 7 with Wagonhound Ranch or Echo Mtn would be the way to go in that area. I do not know the costs but I'm certain you will harvest a really nice bull. Area 16 hunting with Q Creek would also be a good bet for a 320+ bull with not nearly as much pressure but probably tougher draw odds. Area 19 hunting on Russell Gordy's ranch (if you could get access/outfitter) would probably get you above 330+ extremely private access and the potential for an exceptional bull. Again though, I'm not certain of the cost for these hunts, probably substantial. All of these hunts also offer incredible archery hunting with Area 16 and 19 type 1 tags opening on Oct 1 when they are still bugling.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Thanks
    Never elk hunted and want a 320 bull. I would worry about killing any legal bull first