Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Camo face paint

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 2 Posts
    Yeah im not a fan of paint either. I grow a full beard by the time hunting season rolls around.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Something to cover your face is essential. in my opinion. It really changed my success when I started consistently using it. But as mentioned it gets everywhere, and if you're on a 5 day back country trip it doesn't help with the cleanliness feeling either. I use the Kuiu neck/face gaiter. It is extremely thin and breathable, no problems with glasses fogging up etc. Most important is that it is tight up against your face, so the loose material doesn't doesn't effect your shooting.... I think we are talking archery here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    HS (I think) makes some cheap thin camo netting with wire around the face area that you can use to shape the face hole and make comfortable and elastic bands to hold it in place. You can usually pick them up pretty cheap after spring turkey season (which is primarily when I use it)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
    I was hunting late season Blacktail in California. They are horribly spooky and if I had the paint on I could sneak up within bow range. The first few days I didn't use it and was busted twice by two good bucks. After wearing it I didn't get busted. I had two weeks of beard growth when I started and figured it would be enough but it wasn't.
    I hate putting it on. I have tried head net stuff before but had some serious fogging up issues on this trip with my binos and glasses when wearing the head net stuff plus it's irritating. It rained almost every day.
    I have hunted whitetail and mule deer and they don't compare to the spooky nature of these little blacktail. I shot a really nice whitetail a couple years ago that didn't know I was around but these little deer are tough. Too many lions and bears trying to eat them is what I think makes them jumpy. Plus the dope growers shooting at them.
    Nailed it!

If you want to see why it can make a difference, get a buddy with camo on and nothing on his face and have him go out with the sun on him. You can spot a white face from 200+ yards out easy. If I am still hunting , in a tree stand or sometimes spot and stalk I wear it. If I am spot and stalk in certain areas I do not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JNDEER View Post
    Nailed it!

If you want to see why it can make a difference, get a buddy with camo on and nothing on his face and have him go out with the sun on him. You can spot a white face from 200+ yards out easy. If I am still hunting , in a tree stand or sometimes spot and stalk I wear it. If I am spot and stalk in certain areas I do not.
    I agree he nailed it, ever since I started using it my success has went up three folds...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    I'll be honest... It may make you look like a deadly predator to other humans, but other than the rare instances where a reflecting greasy face inside a dark ground blind might occur...just a waste of time IMHO.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I also agree that covering your face with either paint or cloth gives you a huge advantage over nothing at all, especially durring sunny conditions. It's a fact that light colors reflect light and dark colors absorb light.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    You have a choice on how you look to game. You can look like a human, or you can look like a human with face paint.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I can't stand to wear a face net, and I don't cake it on like a street whore, a little goes a long way. I think whatever it is that gives you the confidence to get r done will work.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been hunting for 35 years and bow hunting for 20 something.
    I have also not believed in face paint. I didn't think it helped but had never tried it. If you're sitting in a tree stand I doubt it would make a difference. I would be surprised if it makes too much difference in a ground blind. If you're on the ground doing spot and stalk hunting with a bow it will make a difference.
    My original question was for a good product that doesn't smear and make a mess of you clothing and gear but this has been an interesting response. I thought more people used face paint but now that I think about it I don't remember ever seeing anyone hunting using it.
    Last edited by squirrelduster; 12-25-2012 at 09:28 PM.