Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Camo face paint

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    burnt cork, super easy clean up!
    Doesn't that make the wine taste funny?

Thanks
    haha, old hunter... you my friend are classic! i love it. straight and to the point. yeah i to have to base it on my own experience. cammo doesnt matter, it really doesnt in the least matter. just broken up colors, no blue. i wear cammo most of the time but not while winter hunting, non cammo cold weather gear is so much cheaper. if paint works for u it works. wont hide ya anymore than not wearing it though. unless it has then it does. i think dr sues said that once.

Thanks
    how bout one of the eastman boys chime in here on this topic. they all use to just wear flannelshirts and blue jeans.

Thanks
    I use the stuff from hunter specialties. I like it but I don't like the application, have to get it all over your fingers. I used my buddies camo x and liked it alot, goes on without use of fingers and comes off easy. Also, seems like the camo x goes on thinner and doesnt rub off on clothes as easy.

Banned
    Thanks
    Poor Fred Bear. Think how much better he could have done with face paint.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Poor Fred Bear. Think how much better he could have done with face paint.
    While I don't disagree entirely with this, the animals he was hunting saw a fraction of the pressure they see these days. People scout them year round, go shed hunting, hunt several seasons, have a team of spotters out there and can get farther in the back country with better gear than they had in his day. Mike Eastman has spoken extensively in his books about changes in mule deer behavior over the past 50 years due to increases in hunting pressure. The wind and not getting picked off moving are still the two most important things, but if it can make a fraction of a difference putting camoflage on your face, why not do it? A lot of these tags now take years to draw and for non-residents are horribly expensive, I want to cover all my bases, if something that costs a couple bucks can make a small difference I'm going to do it.

If you aren't going to camo up your face, why not wear red flannel and cordorouy pants like they old timers did as well?

Banned
    Thanks
    What makes you think I don't wear red and black plaid? We never wore corduroy.

Did you miss my name?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    What makes you think I don't wear red and black plaid? We never wore corduroy.

Did you miss my name?
    I'm sending you some new wide belted suspenders for a belated Christmas present

Banned
    Thanks
    Works for me, but i'm not fat, so a belt works.

Thanks
    Boy did I start a bunch of fun.
    I would agree that in the vast majority of situations camo face paint is not necessary.
    I see no purpose for it in rifle hunting, bow hunting in a tree stand could be done with a face mask if you feel it's necessary and archery elk hunting a face mask would work. In the tree stand and elk situation you normally know they are coming in ahead of time.
    Spot and stalk archery hunts for Blacktail and mule deer are a different situation. Mule deer aren't as wary as the blacktail and normally you can spot them ahead of time.
    We hunt in brush and timber areas with very little visibility at times. Anybody can sneak up on a deer they see from half a mile and get within a 100 yards but to sneak up on a buck you spot at 100 yards and get to within 40 yards you need more than flannel and a beard. I was after a Pope and Young buck so I wanted all the edge I could get.
    What I did find out is all face camo is pretty crappy stuff.