Thread: Processing

Thanks

Processing

Hey Everyone! Been lurking around these parts for a while but I'm somewhat new to the valley area. Will be hunting D7 next year but would love some suggestions on where to get my meat processed in the Fresno/Clovis areas. Thanks a bunch. Been enjoying the pics from the guys in D7/D8!

Thanks
    I hunt D7 even tho I'm living in Colorado now that I have retired. My advice is to do it yourself, not really too hard. The big advantage is that you are sure what (or whose) meat you are getting and can control the quality and cuts that you like. All you need is a grinder and a good sharp butcher knife. I also vacume pack mine. I make all my own burger, breakfast sausage and brats. We don't really like roasts, so lots of steak, BBQ and jerky.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-24-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I hunt D7 even tho I'm living in Colorado now that I have retired. My advice is to do it yourself, not really too hard. The big advantage is that you are sure what (or whose) meat you are getting and can control the quality and cuts that you like. All you need is a grinder and a good sharp butcher knife. I also vacume pack mine. I make all my own burger, breakfast sausage and brats. We don't really like roaqsrs, so lots of steak, BBQ and jerky.
    Thanks CC! I've been thinking along these same lines. My father has always been an avid hunter in this area so maybe I'll get him to help me!

Thanks
    CC is giving some good advice there.....deer processing will run you at least $100.00, do it yourself and put your money on a good grinder and a few knives. If your dad is there to help it really goes pretty fast......one guy cuts and the other wraps/vacume packs.

Thanks
    Butchering game meat is really not very hard. Make sure you clean up any shot up meat, blood, hair & dirt from the meat. I also cut off all the fat, I think it gives the meat a very strong taste. The more you do, the better you get. When I make my burger and sausage, I use pork shoulder roast and add no extra fat. You get extra lean grind and it really makes good burger.

After you get that big buck next year, get a 6 pac of brewsKis and you and your Dad get to work!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    It's not hard to butcher the deer yourself. Just start cutting off pieces of meat and learn from there. You can still take the meat in to get made into sticks, sausage, etc, if you don't want to buy all the equipment. But you at least save the cost of paying them to cut the meat.

I don't know any butchers in the Fresno area, but I do know one in the Turlock area. Sanders Meats. I've gone there before and they seem to do a fine job.

Thanks
    Closest butcher I was able to find to that side was actually in Tehachapi. If you want his info, I'll have to dig it up.

There's actually not a lot of butcher shops that process game, they need a special permit to do it.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Really great feedback everyone. At Christmas I ran into an Aunt who use to work at Wieberts (sp) way back in the day. She says there is a place in Lemoore called Lemoore Lockers and said they do an excellent job.