Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retiring

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is a very inspiring thread....sometimes I get disheartened hearing and talking to people who started hunting in their teens. And, here I am just starting to hunt in my mid 30's. Feels like I missed alot. But, reading some of the posts in this thread just gave me the hope that I still have ALOT of years to enjoy myself and age is nothing but a number...
    HOYT SPYDER TURBO {70/27.5}
    A bonafide city boy...that calls the Backcountry his "hood!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Old hunter I missed your post stating you would retire from hunting. I am glad you changed your mind though, I am a young guy compared to 70 and to be honest some of your opinions in your posts drive me crazy. I kind of think of you as a contrary old goat, no disrespect meant. But, the one thing I can't argue with is your 70 and still out there, I look up to that from some of the older hunters on the site and hope I can do the same some day. Please don't ever quite, that way every time I'm spent on the mountain I can think that there are 70 and 71 year old guys doing this, I'm 34 I can surely keep going.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah, I can be cranky, and opinionated, but that's one of the perks of being an old fart. Just ignore me when I get like that.

No harm is meant. I'm probably just dealing with some new pain I haven't got used to yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post

I'm probably just dealing with some new pain I haven't got used to yet.
    Yep...we like to be a big pain in the A## sometimes too. As we get older, we feel like we've earned that right!!! In my 71 years if I havn't learned enough to be opinonated and a pain in the rear sometimes, then I guess I'd better styart over.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Man, I personally think you'd have to be crazy to just retire from hunting. Guy work their entire lives so they can retire from work, and spend it hunting! My grandpa quit hunting when he was in his mid 70's. It got to be too hard for him to get into the woods, and then to stay in the woods.. When he quit, his body was pretty beat up, but his mind was still excellent, and I know it killed him to not be out there with us.
    I'm glad you're back up on the horse OH, don't quit until you have to..

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I might be a little different than the average hunter. Hunting has been a priority in my life since starting at 8 years old with my dad. In 61 years of hunting i've never missed a hunting season. So, retiring hasn't gotten me more hunting. It just got harder with way too much time to think about it.

I fill in the time by scouting new areas. I probably scout 300 days a year now. Along with some fly fishing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    CC & OH,

When you guys need a break from the mountains or if it gets to physically challenging, come to Oklahoma. You guys can spend some time with me. I'll put you on some whitetails, you can hunt out of a ladder stand, tri-pod or ground-blind. My dad is 63, semi-retired & he still goes pretty strong at hunting. I would have blast listening to you guys tell stories. I've learned alot from my elders, it has made me a better sportsman. You guys have a standing invite.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    CC & OH,

When you guys need a break from the mountains or if it gets to physically challenging, come to Oklahoma. You guys can spend some time with me. I'll put you on some whitetails, you can hunt out of a ladder stand, tri-pod or ground-blind. My dad is 63, semi-retired & he still goes pretty strong at hunting. I would have blast listening to you guys tell stories. I've learned alot from my elders, it has made me a better sportsman. You guys have a standing invite.
    Thats mighty generous of you. Hope to got to Texas in April to do turkey & hogs. I have a good friend who lives in Chelsea, Ok who is always after me to come shoot whitetails with him. Got to do that sometime.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Gentlemen, your welcome. You 2 have a standing invite, should you change your mind.