Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Boots

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just Boots

I need new hiking boots for my bivouac style bow hunt. I've had Asolo in the past. They were fine. Was interested in the Lowa Ticam GTX. Does anyone have any experience with this boot with heavy pack and long days. Foot fatigue is my biggest concern and waterproof after that? My Asolo were fine but were a little big for my feet. I have a normal foot I think. Not too wide or too flat. Will add insoles so may need bigger boot with custom insoles for proper fit. Any suggestions for my foot and style. Also looking at Other Lowa's and Asolo's. What does everyone recommend? This will be early season so no insulation is needed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I have Lowas and Crispi. The best boot are the ones that fit you the best. I recommend trying many on to find the ones that fit best. I love my Crispi's.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have Lowa low cut renegades for summer hiking and even antelope hunting and a pair of Rangers for mountain work and they are both exceptional.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My plan is to go to REI and try on a few different brands and styles if they have a good selection just to get an idea of the right fit. Hopefully they will have a decent selection.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just recently got a new pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots. I have only been able to wear them around where I live, so they have not seen any mountains yet. So far, these boots have been very comfortable and feel very solid. The sole seems stiff enough for mountain terrain, but they flex enough to walk normal on flat ground, if that makes sense. For me, they seem to run true to size. I think they would be worth a look. There are lots of positive reviews on these boots on various forums.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I second LaHunter. I bought some Lowa Tibet GTX boots last year, put a new insole in them, and took off hunting after I wore them around the house a few days. I used them along the Missouri River draws in central SD. Not mountains, but believe me the draws can be steep. There was lots of snow on the ground, so I don't know that I got a great look at them and I just had normal pack weights, but I really liked them. I have a very skinny foot and they lace up just fine for me. You really can't beat their lace lock system. Definitely will need a good insole though, the original one isn't any good. No leaking in the snow after a week of walking in it, so that is good.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have tibets and sheep hunters. For some reason the tibets fit and are much more comfortable then the sheep hunters. Maybe because of the insulated vs uninsulated.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts
    To piggy back on this thread a little bit, if we reviewed some boots, which ones would you guys like to see picked apart?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Scott I would like to see the kenetrek mountain extreme, Lowa sheep hunters, and the Crispi Wyoming GTX

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Scott I would like to see the kenetrek mountain extreme, Lowa sheep hunters, and the Crispi Wyoming GTX
    ....and Hanwag.

As long as they are all similar in price and function. Recently, field and stream did a boot review and some boot MSRP's were over $400 while others were in the $200 range; and of course the $200 had the lowest rating and the results were worse than worthless. The $200 boot may be the best $200 boot made, but received bad press because its compared to boots that cost twice as much.