Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Garmin 650T-Anybody got one?

Got rid of my old (and I mean old) Garmin GPS and am considering a new one that I can load gps/topo maps via a chip instead of plugging in the unit to my computer. I am considering the new Montana 650T. Any one have one...if so how do you like it. I would also consider other GPS alternatives. Won't be using one in my PU or SUV as I have one for them.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Got a buddy that has the Oregon 450t and used the map software card in CO this past September Mule Deer hunting. He says he really likes it and it is spot on accurate and easy to use. The Montana 650t is a little larger with more features than the Oregon. I am planning on adding the Montana 650t to the inventory soon.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have the Oregon 550. I didn't get the T model because I planned on buying the sd cards from huntinggpsmaps.com, which i have for Wyoming & Colorado and is worth every penny. I bought the 550 over the 450 because of the camera; one less thing I need to pack and I like they way the picture is tied into the map by the gps coords. I preferred the bigger Montana but my wallet didn't. Prices have come down on both models now, at the time I was looking they wanted something on the order of $600 for the montana.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think I'll but one of the Montana 650's after the first of the year. Not sure if I'll get the one already loaded with topo maps (the T model) or just buy the ones i want.

Damn, just noticed this is my 800th post. I spending to much time on this computer. Guess it's because of too much snow and cold outside. Oh well, Jamuary will be a slow month, going to Az for a big regional cowboy shoot and then quail hunting, be gone about 3 weeks. WARM WEATHER
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-29-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do either of you know if you buy the T model, is there enough memory to add whatever additional maps you want from huntinggpsmaps.com?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The 650 is their top of the line and I believe it has a 3.5 GB capacity. I am leaning on getting the one w/o the topo and buy what I want. Don't really need all 48 states. I will only be using it for hunting. If you want to use it for in a car/truck, all the states would be worth it. I already have a GPS for my truck & suv.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-29-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the Garmin Rino 655T, and used it in Idaho this past fall and loved it. It is basically like the Montana, but has a smaller touch screen as a trade off for the radio features of the Rino. I really like the radio features since others in my party have Rinos too. You can see and update their position on your gps's map and track them as long as you have radio contact. It also has a weather radio and map on it too. It was nice to here updates about the fires in Idaho this past September when smoke rolled into our basin.

I don't like to use the chips by Garmin as they are only viewable on your device. I like to look at my maps before I go out and add data to them if needed or highlight features. Plus some states are on different Garmin SD cards, for example, I hunt whitetails in Indiana and Ohio, and since they are on different micro SD cards, I need to switch them out when I switch states. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming are on different cards from Colorado, Utah, New Mex, and Arizona. The maps that come from Garmin that have all the states, Topo US, is only 1:100,000 detail. Not much good for hunting in my opinion. I have it, and it was a waste of money. I'm not sure how the maps come from huntinggpsmaps.com come, but I'm pretty sure you can look at theirs on the computer prior to using it on the gps. Sounds like a good product. You can download many states at gpsfiledepot.com for free. It's all I use anymore. They are usually more detailed than Garmins and often create by individuals whop are using them. I have several with land usage included on them. I load all the maps I will use for the year once in the summer and leave it alone until the next season.

The cameras are a nice feature, not the quality you can get out of a point and shoot, but they show up on the Basecamp software, as a picture with co-ordinances. I took pictures of wallows I found, and then stored them as way points for future use. Worth the extra $$ if it is in your budget.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have done a ton of research on the T's before buying last year. Personally I own the 450T and love it!!! But I picked it up for less than the 450 from cabelas. You are much better off saving the extra $ from the T series and load your own topos in the GPS the ones they have in there units from the factory suck!!! They have very little detail on the topos

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use GPS depot too, but I appreciate the simple and comprehensive HuntingGPSmaps system. switching cards is a breeze, and I like how thorough the trail coverage is.

I run the Oregon 450, and have enjoyed using it.