Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some packing help..

I haven't done any backpacking for years........and when I did, it was always for fishing. Anyway, I recently purchased an Eberlestock J34. Well, last night I started packing......and I ran out of room FAST!! I know I am probably taking too much, but I'm not really sure what I need to take out. This is just going to be a short trip.....leaving today and returning Sunday. I plan on keeping track of what I use and don't use....then remove from my "packing list" when I get home.

I am thinking that I will upgrade my tent (older LL Bean 2-man "backpacking" tent) and sleeping bag (older Mtn Hardwear 20 degree Lg. mummy) in the near future and this should give me some extra room. I did not put my spike duffel on the outside, so I'm using the base 4600 cubic inches of the J34. It seemed like food took up a good bit of room.....as did extra clothes. It's gonna be warm today....but turning colder tomorrow...so I had to pack some layers. I have minimal hunting gear packed (bow, binos, rangefinder, wind checker, etc.). I probably have too many extra batteries for the GPS and two-way radio......and too much paracord, etc. I'm using a Jetboil Flash and taking two cans of fuel (could probably get by with one).

I guess I am sorta thinking out loud here......but was hoping I could get some tips/advice on how to maximize space and get by on the bare essentials.

Thank you in advance for any and all tips!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    This vid might help you out.

http://vimeo.com/m/41537777

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are several great pack lists for hunts guys posted on here that should be able to help you out. I was able to pack a 4400 CU IN pack for a 10 day Bivy hunt in Colorado this year. It was tight doing and def needed to prioritize gear but made it work and was damn comftorable the whole time we were there

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JC523 View Post
    I haven't done any backpacking for years........and when I did, it was always for fishing. Anyway, I recently purchased an Eberlestock J34. Well, last night I started packing......and I ran out of room FAST!! I know I am probably taking too much, but I'm not really sure what I need to take out. This is just going to be a short trip.....leaving today and returning Sunday. I plan on keeping track of what I use and don't use....then remove from my "packing list" when I get home.

I am thinking that I will upgrade my tent (older LL Bean 2-man "backpacking" tent) and sleeping bag (older Mtn Hardwear 20 degree Lg. mummy) in the near future and this should give me some extra room. I did not put my spike duffel on the outside, so I'm using the base 4600 cubic inches of the J34. It seemed like food took up a good bit of room.....as did extra clothes. It's gonna be warm today....but turning colder tomorrow...so I had to pack some layers. I have minimal hunting gear packed (bow, binos, rangefinder, wind checker, etc.). I probably have too many extra batteries for the GPS and two-way radio......and too much paracord, etc. I'm using a Jetboil Flash and taking two cans of fuel (could probably get by with one).

I guess I am sorta thinking out loud here......but was hoping I could get some tips/advice on how to maximize space and get by on the bare essentials.

Thank you in advance for any and all tips!!
    To give you an idea about battery use, my Garmin Rino 120 went through a set of batteries about every 1.5 days, even with the radio turned off, if I left it on while I was out hunting. So, even for one day "planned" out, I still took one extra set of batteries for that.

Radio, of course, will depend on how much you actually talk on it, but I haven't used it before while hunting, so I can't give you any estimate on that.

For lights, unless you have something like a Surefire that goes through batteries like my truck goes through gas, throw a fresh set in right before you leave and that should be fine.

Food - strip off any excess packaging that isn't needed - cardboard containers, etc. That will save space and weight.

Find something to compress the clothes - that will save you a lot of room. Won't help you today, but places like REI, etc, sell compression sacks for that purpose.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations

TB backpacking list

This is not a complete list. This is just a rough list for me when I start packing. I have listed all the weights in ounces of the equipment that I use. Some of it is good stuff, some needs to be upgraded. (rain gear for example). And not everything has a weight for it yet.

All really depends on where and when you'll be hunting, what temperature it will be, how you hunt, etc but I hope this helps and gives you an idea.

TB Backpacking List

Pack- 57
    sleeping bag 56
    tent 57.7
    water filter 19.1
    pocket rocket 3.9
    large gas cylinder 12.3
    cooking pot 3.2
    5-6 days TP 0.4
    archery supplies box 2.5
    toiletries 3
    thermarest 12.9
    headlamp 2.8
    knife/12 blades 2.7
    spork 0.3
    waterproof matches 0.8
    iodine tablets 1.1
    lighter 0.5
    camo face paint 1.8
    light jacket 20.8
    medical supplies 1.1
    flagging 1.2
    water bladder 5
    day of food 25
    chapstick 0.2
    rangefinder 10.2
    binos 25.5
    game bags 26.2
    rain gear pants 20.7
    rain gear jacket 26
    hoochie mama 3.1
    imakadabullcrazy 0.8
    smartwool socks 3.3
    leatherman 4.4
    camera 8.5
    scope cam adapter 3.5
    UA top 10
    UA bottom 7.5
    water 80
    80mm spotting scope 63
    80mm tripod 80.7
    heavy jacket
    beanie
    gloves
    primos pack bugle
    tag/license
    p cord
    GPS
    Extra batteries
    Bow
    release
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the help guys.

I'm taking primarily Mountain House, Clif Bars, and some bagel sandwiches.

I actually have my clothes, tent, and bag in three separate compression stuff sacks. How big are the newer tents and bags.....say a Hilleberg Akto and a 20 degree bag? I really think my bag is taking up too much room. I'd say second is my tent.

Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    with batteries you have to use lithium's. they are by and large worth the money. also for food, try using a 1 gallon size zip lock for each day. if the food for a day doesn't fit in the 1 gallon zip lock, good chance you don't need that much or you need to find different food.
    -TB
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i'm using the Marmot Lithium Membrane. pricey but for a 0 degree bag at 3 lbs or so its hard to beat. compresses down very small in the small compression bag they provide.
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well if you haven't left yet, tie your sleeping bag to the outside of your pack with your para cord, you can also do the same with your tent. Walla you have a lot of extra room.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    Congratulations