Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming 90-1/90-2 questions

Ok fellas my hunting partner and I are going to use our 6 points this coming year. My questions are which unit you guys like better? And what is camping like? Spent a day in 90-2 and didn't see squat for camping places. What time of year is best for the antelope hunting? We have never been antelope hunting before. The day we spent scouting we did see some nice bucks. Hope to draw some doe tags too, we are meat hunters mainly but want to get a nice buck for the wall

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you are looking for some shady spot next to a babbling brook for a camp spot, you won't find it in unit 90. But there is plenty of public land with only sagebrush where you can camp if desired. We just pull the trailer off the road in an open spot and and set up camp. Seems like there is some campground in the Eden / Farson area, but never stopped there.

80%+ of the bucks are killed on opening weekend. But you will have a higher quality hunt / experience if you go the second or third week of the season. There really isn't a bad time to kill a buck, and with some more expereince you can use the crowds on opening weekend to your advantage.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 to what llp said. Antelope hunting isn't all that hard if you just want to shoot something. All things equal, I'd hunt earlier in the season to take advantage of the nicer weather. The only reason to hunt the opener would be if you have a nice one pegged. Other than that, I'd wait till the second weekend.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 6 Posts
    Hey sigpros, we've hunted Wyoming antelope 7 or 8 times, just my two cents.

Next year is looking like a tough year for trophy antelope hunting. Most of the best antelope country in Wyoming is now classified as "severe" or "extreme" drought. Antelope horns begin to grow in November, and so as of today you already have the "tops" of the horns two months into their growth cycle. My sons have max points and we really wanted to taken them next year, but decided to hold off for one more year. Here is a link to one drought map:

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/monitor.html

Second, just a thought, but you will be driving through about 200 miles of prime antelope country (with great public access) to get to Unit 90. While I understand Unit 90 is a good unit, most of the traditional antelope hotspots are further east. Carbon, Sweetwater, Freemont and Natrona counties are the best counties for trophy class bucks. Units 60, 61 and 64 are three of the best units but the adjacent units can be just about as good.

Don't hunt the opener (a circus), hunt two weeks into the season, at least after the second weekend of the season. Also midweek is best when the locals aren't out. After October 1, most of the locals are deer hunting and done hunting antelope. If you go after the second week of the season, and after October 1, you will just about have the antelope hunting to yourselves. It is much more fun hunting antelope that aren't being run around by other hunters.

Often camping spots for Wyoming antelope is just a flat spot in the desert, or maybe behind a ridge to act as a wind break.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys,
    Man mother nature is such a pain! we didn't go last year because of the winter kill. So if we don't use our points this year how does that work? The Wyoming site is hard to understand. Guess we could put in for 58 or something like that we wont get drawn in and try for a leftover. Or pick a unit and get some doe tags. And yes it is a looong drive out there hunted elk 102 last year. Going to try and find a place to chase cow elk closer to home

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How was your hunt in 102? I was thinking about archery elk hunting that area this year and looking at 98, 93, 89 and 90 for goats in the future.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Norcalhunter pm sent

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anybody hunted unit 90 before? I am wondering what the hunt is like overall. Whats the population like? Any trouble finding goats? I notice a lot of land, lots of access and very few tags available. How rugged is the terrain?

I am really interested in the amount of public land and great access, just curious what the goat hunting is like as a whole.
    I have never actually been to this area of Wyoming, so I am just looking for some back ground info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cyclone & sigpros,

I've spent some time in unit 90. I've been over there to shoot does a couple of times, and one time on a buck hunt with a buddy last year. The antelope are pretty scattered early in the season, but after the first storm hits (early October), the antelope from unit 88 and 87 start showing up. The area is covered with oil rigs, so it's not the most asthetically pleasing area to hunt. I've yet to see a giant in that unit after all of those trips. My buddy ended up killing a 75" last year after three days of hunting (very disappointing to burn 5 points for that hunt).

Lots of ground to cover, with lots of access, but it wouldn't be my first choice after what I've learned. If I had 6 points, I'd follow Umpqua Hunters advice and focus on the red desert, or central WY.

Just my opinion. Hope that helps.