Thread: Mt Goat love

Banned
    Thanks

Mt Goat love

I keep applying for post-military jobs in Alaska, and so far they keep coming back with a nice little letter telling me I still have too much time on my mil-contract to hire, and a not so nice part about me being bald and fat and uglying-up their bullpen.

Anyway, if we don't end up back in Alaska where goats are on the annual hunting menu, I need to find another plan.

What are the non-preference point states for goats? Is it just Wyoming and Idaho?

Going to take a few years before I can afford a BC guided goat hunt, I am hoping 2015 if we aren't living in Alaska again, but I'd like to take advantage of the cheaper goats as well.

Banned
    Thanks
    Ok, so I have been pouring over the Idaho goat info and I can't seem to find how many tags non-residents get.

Are they guaranteed to get any?

It looks like one area gave away 4 tags total and non-residents got one tag. Something like a 1 in 30 odds. This wouldn't be any different than Wyoming's 1 -30 non-resident odds.

Thanks
    I'm not too sure where you came up with 1:30 odds for goat in Wyoming, although antelope in hilly terrain I guess could be considered mountain "goat" ;-)

Here were the draw odds in Wyoming last year (2012):

Unit 1: 3 tags, 261 applicants = 1:87 odds

Unit 2: 2 tags, 180 applicants = 1:90 odds

Unit 3: 1 tag, 64 applicants = 1:64 odds

Idaho's draw odds are VERY deceiving. If I recall correctly, 10% of the tags are issued to non-residents. If there are 10 tags, you know one will go to a non resident. For units with less than 10 tags, a non resident tag may be issued, or it may not. Statistically the tags are issued in the units with the most NR applicants. You really need to look at the total number of NR tags issued statewide, the total number of NR applicants to get a sense of what the statewide draw odds are, then decide if you want to play the game.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Edelweiss,
    Are you a resident of Alaska? I know that you're overseas in the military right now. Just so you know, Kodiak will be going to a 2 goat per year limit in some areas, next regulatory year. The numbers are increasing down there like crazy!

Banned
    Thanks
    I am a resident of Alaska. Barrow is my voting prescinct for that type of thing.

Maybe in the next 7 months I can find a job in Alaska, I didn't know things were that wonderful.

Thanks
    In Idaho nonresidents can draw up to 10% of tags but are not guaranteed any tags at all. Resident and nonresident all draw at the same time and once nonresidents draw 10% no more nonresidents can draw, However all of the tags could be drawn by residents before any nonresidents come up in the draw and in that case nonresidents would not get any tags. That is how I understand it. Also you can only apply for 1 trophy species or deer/elk/antelope each year.

Banned
    Thanks
    Musket,

So what you are saying that the odds suck, worse than the initial math shows.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Musket,

So what you are saying that the odds suck, worse than the initial math shows.
    Something like that lol. The odds are for the whole draw and nonresident odds are usually lower. On the other hand with no points you could draw any tag the first time you apply!