Thread: hunting wallows

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

hunting wallows

Figured this would be a useful topic to get started in here. Dose anybody have tips or tricks to take a bull around a wallow. What makes a good wallow? What do you guys look for? I must say I don't donate a bunch of time to hunting them, but they do have their place. After I find a active wallow i'll Keep checking on the wallow till I see signs of heavy usage, on the first hot day, i'll be in there before 10am or so.. I wanna be in there before the elk make their move to settle down to bed down for the day. Sometimes i"ll get in there and start raking a tree and sounding off with a spike sounding bugle or even splashing the water with a stick. Come on September!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I hear ya! I can't wait until September. I started reading up on Elk Nuts Playlist book a little on wallows. I have always set on wallows and never had anything come in, that is until last year. Elk nut says to find the wallows highest up on the mountain. These are the wallows that the bulls will hit in the day when they have their cows bedded down, because they don't have to travel far. I found one as high up on the hill as I could, and the first day my friend killed a spike off the wallow. While we were boning him out, a good six point and cows came to the wallow and spooked. The next day I had a five point come in and wallow at the same time of day, got a shot but didn't get him. I know where I will be come elk season!
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lets see if the picture worked of the bull he killed, and the wallow he was next to when he shot him.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    always make sure to have an arrow nocked; big bulls tend to spook when facing you at 10 yards and you are pondering on how you are going to pick up your bow and nock an arrow! Also elk will hit wallows all day long-doesn't matter if it is 10am or 1pm.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Howahunter View Post
    always make sure to have an arrow nocked; big bulls tend to spook when facing you at 10 yards and you are pondering on how you are going to pick up your bow and nock an arrow! Also elk will hit wallows all day long-doesn't matter if it is 10am or 1pm.
    Ya know three seasons ago I made that mistake! I was walkin' into an area we call big nasty with my brother. After a two hour climb we made it to our spot. I set my bow down to get my brother set up glassing over a basin and my plan was to set up on a saddle about 30 yards from him. I got him all set up, looked over at the saddle and I saw two bucks coming over the top of it. The first buck was a typical 25 inch four point and the buck that followed him was a non- typical buck that woulda went 30ish. I'm standing there facing the saddle with my bow between me and the deer and I've got about eight yards of ground to cover till I can grab my bow! Long story short, I had a plenty of time to count points on the last buck, I lost track after I got to seven on his left side. By the time I picked up my bow I never had a shot. Haven't put my bow down for three years now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you have the patience, active wallows will pay off. The toughest thing is to get set up so the wind doesn't mess you up. If you can, get high up a tree.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I tried hunting over a wallow a couple of years ago. This wallow gets hit every day durring the rut and has been consistent for years. The only problem is I can not sit on a wallow all day with elk bugeling and rutting around me. I guess I just am not good at the sitting and ambushing game. I am going to set up a tree stand and sit on it durring the middle of the day this year and see how that goes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have any experience with Rocky Mt elk but most of the Roosevelt wallows I find here on the coast seem to be opportunity wallows in that they are hit on occasion when the elk happen by. I've tried to sit on a few of them but the lack off any more activity killed my patience. I think I found one last year that will be worth sitting in a tree stand over....I found it later in the season and still got pictures of bulls consistently enough to get my interest.