Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

OTC Once in a Lifetime Elk Hunt!

I was recently honored with a request. My adopted father's hunting partner called me and asked me to help him put together a UTAH public land OTC hunt for my father and his 2 lifelong hunting and firefighting partners. Dad and both lifelong hunting partners are retired firemen from Springfield, Oregon. Over the last 30+ years they have never had the opportunity to hunt elk out of state together. In his call to me, Kevin, expressed concern that this could be the last opportunity for them to pursue a hunt of this nature, due to their age and health issues.

The request was to help locate an OTC tag that would give them an opportunity for a fair chase public land elk hunt. They were specific about hunting UTAH, because another of their fellow firefighters had hunted several years in UTAH on private ranches. Kevin was attimate that they had never hunted on a private ranch, and wouldn't start now.

Due to their age and health, 2 of the partners have limited mobility for long term hiking. Myself, I am in my 40's and in good enough shape to pick up the slack.

Can anyone offer information that would point us in the direction to a good unit that would fill our need? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Depends if you want to hunt spike only or any bull. The any bull units in the Uintahs will take some work to get off the roads to get into good elk. However some of the spike only units you may be able to get a few hundred yards off the road and get an elk. I would call a biologist and see what units they would recommend for your situation.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you, I plan on calling a biologist tomorrow for more information. Can you maybe suggest a couple of unit to be looking at?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    If you are looking for an any bull hunt you could look at the Kamas unit, Northslope, or Southslope units. If you want spike only you could look at the unit out by Strawberry. Those are some of the units I am familiar with. Someone else may be able to give you some more info on other spike only units. I usually stick to the any bull units mentioned above. Good luck with your search.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input. It will give us a place to start. I appreciate your willingness to offer suggestions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In all honesty, I have hunted Utah for 20 years. Killing a bull in the OTC any bull units is very hard. For nonresidents and OTC hunts, Colorado is a much better option. When I was a Utah resident, I snuck over to Colorado a few times just to get some good OTC hunting in... Utah is a top notch trophy hunting state, but not that great for general season hunting. The exception is the trophy units where you can do spike hunting. But then, it is just a meat hunt where you get to watch the big bulls walk. Just my .02