Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post

Please help me understanding the licensing for my 2013 WY hunt.

My brother and I are planning a Region Y bowhunt in 2013. My understanding is that it is usually close to a 100% draw for this region. When I read the regs, I see two different draws (random draw and preference points draw). It looks like for the best odds, I want in the random draw. Is this correct? Also, can I buy a $34 doe tag? If so, is this something that is available over-the-counter? Do we buy our archery stamps when we get there, or do we need to order them in advance too. Finally, is there any reason to put in now or can I wait until closer to the deadline?

Thanks for the info. This will be our first western hunt, and we are a bit overwhelmed trying to understand everything.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Shootist, you need to put in for the Non-Resident Preference Point draw for Region Y. Even with 0 points, its a 92% draw. The doe tag will be area specific as these are limited quota so you'll have to look within Region Y to find a specific area you want to apply for a doe tag, if they are available. You can purchase your conservation and archery stamps anytime after you draw and you can do so online. There is no reason you can't put in now or closer to the deadline. I leave myself time in case there is an error in what I input in the computer or the G&F has a question regarding my application. Never has happened but I always leave myself time. PM me if you have more questions. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What is the random draw? Below are the results from the 2012 random draw, and it looks like there were far more available, than applied for. Am I reading this wrong?

Region Y General
    Total Quota:490
    First Choice Applicants: 119
    Second Choice Applicants: 106
    Third Choice Applicants: 27

Again, thanks for all the help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Your question answer is on page 5 of the 2012 booklet under Big Game Preference Points. In a nutshell it means this:
    Lets say for a given area there are 100 tags available for the draw. The first 75 (75%) is allocated to the preference points draw. The remaining 25 got to the random draw. Random draw means ANY applicant that WAS NOT drawn in the Pref Pts draw goes into the random pool for the remaining 25%, even those with no points. So it really depends on how many applicantions they get what your odds will be in the random draw.

Hope this clears it up for you.

In your example there were 252 applications for the permit allocation you listed. This means that random draw would get the rest if there were applications turned in. If no more were turned in then this would probably go to Left Over tags.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 01-02-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you for your help everybody.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Shootist, I totally misread the odds. You are correct. You'll be guaranteed in the random for that Region tag. My bad.