Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are we going to do about the wolf?

Wolf hunting in North Park Colorado should be good this year. Wolves are already changing the way the north park elk behave. wildearthguardians.org will probably be suing to provide more protection for the north park wolf, meantime it looks like they can be hunted on a small game license. I would enjoy that if that is legal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What wolves are you talking about? This must be something I havn't heard about. The last time I talked to Co DOW (about 6 mos ago) about wolves, they said there were none here.......Yet
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    June 24, 2004 #293 killed by auto on I`70 30 miles west of Denver. March 07, 2006 a black wolf filmed by wildlife officials just outside of Walden. Feb 09 314F or 341 found dead, I forget where in Colorado. The wolf appears to be well established on the High Lonesome Ranch above Grand Junction.
    USFWS keeps floating ideas of reintroducing the wolf to reduce elk populations. The Baca Wildlife Refuge and the San Luis Valley are mentioned from time to time as reintroduction sites. It has cost tens of millions to reintroduce the wolf. One livestock deprodation cost $500,000 to the rancher and $1,000,000 to have the problem wolves killed.
    wolf in Colorado north of I-70 are listed as threathened and can carry a $25,000. fine south of I-70 is Endangered and the fine for bad thoughts could be $100,000.
    Wolves are in Colorado now, sightings, scat, tracks and howling is reported regularly.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    3-4 years ago I was talking with a SW CO resident and he told me of a story about a rancher that was feeding cows and saw a "coyote" so shot it. Then another coyote showed and the rancher shot it also. He wasn't sure why the "coyotes" seemed to not be afraid of him. Upon further inspection he knew they were way too big to be coyotes so he called the local warden to tell him what happened, and he wanted him to come look at what he knew were wolves. Warden repeatedly told him they did not have wolves in CO, they had to be coyotes, get rid of them. Rancher persisted he come and look at these wolves, they were not coyotes. Warden finally said listen, "We DO NOT have wolves, get rid of those coyotes now."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would like to have dinner with that warden, my treat. We need to keep that going and Wy has a Gov with the right idea. Maybe we can have that kind of leadership in Co when it gets to that point

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=xtreme;43137]June 24, 2004 #293 killed by auto on I`70 30 miles west of Denver. March 07, 2006 a black wolf filmed by wildlife officials just outside of Walden. Feb 09 314F or 341 found dead, I forget where in Colorado. The wolf appears to be well established on the High Lonesome Ranch above Grand Junction.
    USFWS keeps floating ideas of reintroducing the wolf to reduce elk populations. The Baca Wildlife Refuge and the San Luis Valley are mentioned from time to time as reintroduction sites. It has cost tens of millions to reintroduce the wolf. One livestock deprodation cost $500,000 to the rancher and $1,000,000 to have the problem wolves killed.

I knew about the ones you cited. But have not heard about any more.I also knew about Baca & Rky Mt. NP and their thinking about wolves, but still havn't heard any more for quite awhile. I have talked to several Commissioners and asked about their plans about what to do when wolves get here. I really don't think they have a plan! I do believe that eventually we will have wolves here. The thing I havn't heard about is the "sightings, scat, tracks and howling is reported regularly". Sure havn't heard much about this.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Does anyone know what the causes the mortality signal that is sent from a collared wolf. Is it just from non movement of the collar. Is this something that they witness on a computer screen or is there more to it? If you were able to move the collar after it's death would anyone know that a collared wolf had died?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    BKC,
    In my limited experience, it is a specific time of non-movement of the collar. It then sends a different signal but can still be tracked. I have been involved in tracking mortality signals to the residence of someone who took the animal illegally and kept the collar. He fell short of being a criminal mastermind!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks AK, I also have never been considered a criminal mastermind !