Thread: first post

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

first post

A couple of years ago my oldest son and I hunted with an outfitter in unit 115 for pronghorns. It was a pleasurably horse back hunt and I thought that someday it would be nice to do this again on a DIY foot hunt since there appeared to be lots of public land around. My son killed a 81" goat and mine made it to 77 7/8" with the one prong broken off. Not that we are trophy hunters but our guide certainly was picky with my sons goat. Not so much with mine. Great first time antelope hunt. Anyhow my youngest son and I have 2 pp each now and I feel that we can draw this area for a hunt this year. The only reason that I choose this area is simply because I was there once before. I am from Pa and as a non resident like to make the most of the time available. Even though I've recently retired and have extra time to hunt my son works and only has x amount of vacation time. We were thinking of going around middle of October and since we would be traveling together to cut costs, our time is limited by his vacation schedule. I have hunted the western states a number of times and consider this a two day trip out and two days return. The 32 hour straight through driving doesn't appeal to me anymore. That being said, the weekends will be for driving and that should give us a 5 day hunt. I am thinking this is plenty of time. I am not certain what this winter will bring to the antelope in this area or if it matters. Also there may be better areas with less distance to travel. I know this is my first post but does anyone have any thoughts. I mean other than stay home we have enough non-resident hunters here already

I"ll post some pixs if I can figure it out

Thanks
    Congratulations
    welcome to the forum

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Shaun. I've been in the shadows for quite some time but never really posted before. Seems like a lot of interesting people on this site.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Numbers were down this past fall (south central wyoming). I think 5 days is plenty to look over the available animals. We always plan on 3 days and are almost always finished by the end of the second. We don't hunt a trophy unit so we don't spend a whole lot of time trying to find one, however, I never shoot a buck on the first day. Even if you kill out early there is plenty to see and do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    32-hour drive? Man, I think I'd fly and eat the costs. Gas is still going to cost you a pretty penny travelling that far, so if you flew, rented a truck, and stayed in a cheap hotel, you're going to spend more money, but I'd rather have more time on the ground than a 32-hour drive cross country (and then having the drudgery of a 32-hour trip home...yuck!!). Fly into Salt Lake and you're 6-7 hours out. Not sure what Billings, MT is, but that would be even closer.

115 was on my radar last year, but we ended up drawing Type 2 tags for 63. Glad to hear you got some good goats. You and I may be competing for one of those non-resident tags someday

Thanks
    Congratulations
    MWScott,
    I,ve driven to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana around 20 times so far. Flew out to Wyoming once and rented a car for a mule deer huntin the Grey's River. Getting horns and meat back on the plane is not as easy as some make it out to be. Especially in one piece. A lot of additional cost. Plus if you want to change flight schedule, that is also a lot more money. I have done both and now prefer to drive no matter where I'm hunting. Just me not suggesting others do it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cheap motel in Wyoming? Really?
    The drive is 22 hours for me and I enjoy it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I prefer to drive also, of course when we elk hunt we have trailers & mules.