Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

non res moose hunt

Can someone shed some light on which state might have best odds on drawing a tag, and if one state is better than another? I'm trying to line up future hunts for years down the road.

Thanks
    ID easily has the best moose odds.

Thanks
    I chose Maine, New Hampshire & Wyoming. After 12 years cashed my WY points and took a small bull. Then 3 months ago, after 15 years they drew my name in NH and I harvested the bull below. However my odds were still only 1%. After 15 years my odds in Maine are about 6%.

You get the picture. I highly recommend not going my route. You can get a reasonable priced semi-guided hunt in Ontario or New Foundland. Much better option and really makes more financial sense for the time invested. I think many have become disillusioned with Maine because the applicant numbers have dropped considerably the last 5 years, I think by 30%. The politicians have been playing games there screwing long time investors. Still are with their rediculous peddling of 10 pack bonus points. Look to Canada.

These states all take time investing for down the road. Idaho has no bonus points so no need to plan ahead there. As mentioned, they do have the best draw odds but expensive as they make you buy the license first. So it's ~$150 or something for a ~15% chance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1621.JPG  
    Last edited by Zim; 01-03-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks
    ANy states have land owner tags? I have been applying to Main for 10 years, haven't even payed attention to the odds, Last I checked, 200 tags for 21,000 non res apps? or so I was told. Really hate to go across the border but might have too

Thanks
    Consider Alaska.

I bought my tag at WalMart in Fairbanks. It was an odd experience after putting in for MT moose for 20 years.

Thanks
    lr, They passed legislation last year in Maine that partially offsets the veteran point holder discrimination. Although they refused to stop peddling the nonresident 10 packs since they're still drunk on the money. Totally unethical. That is one reason why so many people dropped out. So don't tank your points. The new law weighs your points more the more you have. After 15 points they multiply your chances by ten. The math is not exact, but reasonably close. I have 14 points which equates to about a 6% chance. With 10 I'd estimate your chance at about 4%. Those are for bull tags. But the odds will get much better each year in the future.

For both ME & NH I never expected to draw. I considered it just a bonus if I did. If I seriously wanted to moose hunt I definitely would not wait on a northeast tag! Even with my New Hampshire tag, it was not a great hunt nor good odds for a mature bull, about 10%. I had to work hard and get extremely lucky to take a 53" bull.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Consider Alaska.

I bought my tag at WalMart in Fairbanks. It was an odd experience after putting in for MT moose for 20 years.
    Haha this is true my dad did this about 15 years ago for archery I'm sure things have changed but he was successful

Thanks
    Consider Alaska.

But can you do a DIY hunt in AK for moose? Thought needed a guide. A Yukon moose is on my bucket list

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lostriverproductions View Post
    But can you do a DIY hunt in AK for moose? Thought needed a guide. A Yukon moose is on my bucket list
    No guides needed for moose, caribou, black bear, wolf, or wolverine. I just did it this year with success.

Thanks
    No guides needed for moose, caribou, black bear, wolf, or wolverine. I just did it this year with success.
    Very cool, I will have to look into that, thanks