Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lassen Hike with 8 year old

Looking at taking my adventurous 8 year old up Mount Lassen this summer. Looks like it's a 2.5 mile hike from about 8,500 to 10,500 or so, roughly 4-5 hours per the parks site.

He loves to hike, the outdoors and backpack. He is at the age and mindset he thinks it would be nice to live in the wilderness in his own his whole life!

Any reason I should be concerned with taking him in this hike? Figure I will give us a day to acclimate at one of the campgrounds at 6,500 and then go for it. I did it when I was about 10 years old and pulled it off with my pops an brother.

Have you hike it? Hiked it with a kid? Any advice?

I am assuming there is no camping in the summit?

Any input you could give would be appreciated as my darn long term memory is not the best!

Thanks...Brad

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My thought is just to make it fun for him. It is the 2nd highest peak in northern Ca next to Mt. Shasta. Despite these impressive figures, Lassen Peak remains one of the most accessible volcanoes in the Cascades. No technical climbing is required to reach the summit. This past summer I was lower and the heat was terrible, so keep an eye on the weather. Even though it is only 2.5 miles the weather and altitude can be taxing. Your idea to camp at one of the lower campgrounds to acclimate sounds like a great plan.

During the summer, the only route to the summit that is permitted is the Lassen Peak Trail. I'm assuming that is going to be your route.

If all you're interested in doing is climbing up the trail to the summit, then camping probably isn't required. If you plan on exploring the other great sites within Lassen Volcanic National Park, then opportunities abound! For campsite reservations, please visit www.recreation.gov or call them at 1-877-444-6777.