Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

new to Arizona. questions....

I am a Nevada resident and I put in for Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming and I put in for anything between Deer and Mountain Goat, but I have never put in for Arizona. I have always wanted to put in for AZ, just haven┤t gotten around to it I guess. So I have some rookie questions to get to know the rules a little better (I could look the AZ fish and game site for hours, but I figure its easier here ha).

1. Would you consider this a "must draw" state?

2. What is the draw system like? If I draw a 2nd choice do I lose my points, or do I keep my points unless I draw my 1st choice?

3. Do I have to buy a license or can I just buy preference points without the license? I noticed that the Non-resident license is like $150, so if I could avoid that until I start getting enough points to draw, that would be nice...

4. I realize that there are the famous areas like the strip and pauns that have monster bucks, but are there other areas of the state that also hold good numbers of animals?

5. Are there any archery mule deer areas that are in some higher country. I always prefer to backpack in and get away from the other people if it┤s possible

6. I see that there are a few over-the-counter deer and elk tags... are any of those worth the time and money?

Can I get some ideas of some decent areas that hold good size aniamls for the archery seasons:
    1. mule deer
    2. elk
    3. antelope

Sorry for all of the questions. I really don┤t know much about AZ, but I would like to get to know it more. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone has a question about Nevada I can try to help you out.
    Thanks for any info in advance...

Thanks
    1. Yes
    2. Both your 1st & 2nd choices count. You lose points if you draw either choice.
    3. You must buy license.
    4. There is a pretty big dropoff in quality from the strip & kaibab to the rest of the state. Lots of desert.
    5. I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
    6. I think you can check out an OTC elk area that Randy tried on OYOA?
    7. Strip & Kaibab, any unit, any unit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    1. Yes
    2. Both your 1st & 2nd choices count. You lose points if you draw either choice.
    3. You must buy license.
    4. There is a pretty big dropoff in quality from the strip & kaibab to the rest of the state. Lots of desert.
    5. I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
    6. I think you can check out an OTC elk area that Randy tried on OYOA?
    7. Strip & Kaibab, any unit, any unit.
    Zim pretty much nailed it. I think Arizona is the very best western hunting state, but limited opportunity.

It would be worth getting the Eastman's MRS for Arizona when it comes out and maybe a subscription to Huntin Fool if you want more detailed info.

Thanks
    Just bought my AZ Elk and Antelope Bonus points last week!!

Thanks
    Oops, was that in New Mexico where Randy hunted that depradation unit? I think so. I don't think AZ has those.

I have heard lots of guys like to hunt the Coues deer and can get tags easily. Heard it is worthwhile.

Thanks
    Some info I found but it's elk-specific: http://elk101.com/featured-articles/...ation-summary/

Thanks
    thanks for the info guys. its been really helpful...
    with me being a non-resident, how many years and points do you think i would need to have to draw a pretty decent elk tag? deer tag? antelope tag? and possibly coues deer. never hunted coues, but it looks like it would be pretty sweet. Anyways, how many years do you guys think i would have to wait to be able to get a decent tag in AZ?
    being a NV resident i know that with archery elk its at least 6 years or more... a good NV archery deer tag is only about 1-3 years max... and archery antelope is about 1 year... an estimate for AZ would be nice!

Thanks
    The latest issue of EBJ has a multiple page MRS on Arizona that answers those questions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Hubba20,

I drew a unit 9 archery elk tag in AZ with 14 points. Actually, my buddy and I did and he had 12 points, so it was averaged out to 13. If you want a tag and you're young enough go for the points because they will pay off eventually. AZ gives out enough tags that there's some turnover in applicants and from what I can tell not that much point creep for elk. Pronghorn and especially BHS is another story. You know it's rough when there are residents with 20+ pts for pronghorn in AZ.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hubba20 View Post
    thanks for the info guys. its been really helpful...
    with me being a non-resident, how many years and points do you think i would need to have to draw a pretty decent elk tag? deer tag? antelope tag? and possibly coues deer. never hunted coues, but it looks like it would be pretty sweet. Anyways, how many years do you guys think i would have to wait to be able to get a decent tag in AZ?
    being a NV resident i know that with archery elk its at least 6 years or more... a good NV archery deer tag is only about 1-3 years max... and archery antelope is about 1 year... an estimate for AZ would be nice!
    Hubba, You can draw good Coues deer hunts every 2/3 years. And you do do have a decent chance at a unit 6 elk tag with 4/5/6 points. Most the elk units are basically preference based due to their system, but in zone 6 you have a chance every year for a decent hunt. I am a DIYer from Illinois and have gotten to hunt your state 3 times, including bull elk up by Ely, and Arizona once in 2002 unit 1 elk.