Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bog Pod Tripod for Spooting Scope

I am looking for input and informed opinions on using a Bog Pod Tripod as a spotting scope tripod.
    Is it stable enough? What is your opinion of the trigger head that Bog Pod has?
    Do other heads fit the Bog Pod?
    Thanks for all responses.
    Last edited by LaHunter; 01-23-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    I have the bog pod tripod and I'm happy with it. I have the rifle rest and a spotting scope attachments. I don't think they make the spotting scope attachment that I have anymore. The trigger head looks interesting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When I picked one up it seemed a little heavy. I'd pay up a little bit and try and find a lightweight tripod, carbon fiber or other, you won't regret spending the extra 100-200 bucks when you are hauling it up and down mountains.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the bog pod tripod and the camera head attachment. I absolutely love it as a shooting rest. The flexibility of the legs to the left and right (rather than just length) is great for quick adjustment in the field. That being said, the same flexibility makes it less stable as a spotting scope rest. I found it works better with an after-market head. I got the Promaster 6160. I had to get a different bolt so it would tighten down solidly.

It's not a fast exchange like the Bog Pod system, but I think it's a nice compromise that still allows me to use it for both purposes if I want to. The weight of the legs alone really are pretty comparable with many others on the market. They are pretty long when collapsed which is something to keep in mind for your pack. Since I'm on a tight budget I thought it worked good enough for my purposes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    I've got one and it's ok for sizing up something that's already been spotted. For long glassing though its not like having a good tripod. The heads can't be locked from swiveling side to side, just up and down. I have both heads and prefer the old style to the trigger style. The trigger head alone weighs 20oz. The stand-up legs don't go down real short, and the other style lever locks are loud snapping into place. I like it as a shooting rest I can adjust ahead of time, like sitting for deer, but not for spot and stalk.

I ended up going with the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bipod set-up for shooting, use mostly either the shock cord collapsable ones if I'm worried about weight or the sitting/kneeling version the rest of the time. They are quick and stable. For glassing I got the Promaster 6160 head and 525T tripod and I've been real happy with the set-up. It's a couple ounces heavier and more expensive, but worth it for me. Especially if my partner stays on the spotter while I make a stalk or vice versa.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input. I have another question: I have seen a Vortex Pro GT Tripod Kit online and have been doing a little research on it. I appears to be pretty good quality for around $150 (tripod and pan head). Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this setup? It weighs 4.4#, folded it is 24.6", it has a usable height range of 23.9" - 67", 3 leg sections, and a max load of 10#. I will probably be putting a Leupold GR spotting scope (approx 2.5#) on this tripod. Thanks for all opinions.