Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Mental Hunting Pressure

I am looking to draw an Antelope tag for the fist time in Oregon this year. I have been applying for antelope for 15 years and it looks like this is the year I will draw a tag, and to draw again in Oregon will be likely be 20+ years. I am already feeling pressuse to succeed in my quest for a big buck. I drew a Bighorn Sheep hunt a couple years ago, at times the stress I put on myself to succeed took some of the fun out of hunt. I know antelope can be hunted in other states without a 20 year wait, and is not a once in a lifetime hunt. There is the potential for a big buck if I put the time in and can pass on the smaler ones. After waiting so long I want to make the most of the opportunity, but I have a tendancy to turn my hunting into a job lately. What do you guys do in a situation where you've waited a long time for a certain hunt to keep it fun and not stressfull?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've never pulled a 20+ year wait tag as yet. Congratulations on drawing your tag. I could imagine that being some pressure though on wanting to make the most of that special tag. I don't have all that much sound advice other than using your own last 6 words Timberstalker, "keep it fun and not stressful."

I hope you have an awesome hunt! Enjoy the moment"... you're really lucky to be out there... so enjoy it, leave the outside world behind.

On a side note, I can think of a lot of worse problems to have.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Root For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can think of a lot worse problems to have too!

I know that feeling.. Not the feeling of drawing a tag like that but the mental hunting pressure of making the best of a hunt. When I draw my limited draw areas for elk or antelope, I always stress. I usually just start preparing as early as possible for the hunt. That seems to help ease my stress a little bit if I feel like I am as prepared as possible. I also keep in mind that even if I don't even end up tagging an animal, it was still a great hunt. I think I learn more when I eat tag soup than I do when I actually fill my tag.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jenbickel For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hunting should be fun. If you're not having fun. You're hunting for the wrong reasons.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Hunting should be fun. If you're not having fun. You're hunting for the wrong reasons.
    Thanks for getting me back on track! I knew this was the crowd I needed to go to. I have been known do get caught up in the wrong thing at times. I need to stop thinking about how long I've waited I guess. I appriciate the replies, I'm looking forward to a FUN hunt!
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 01-11-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I havn't drawn a tag like that yet but here's how I view the hunt....... I'm just happy to be out in some beautiful country with the opportunity to kill a quality animal, some areas have better potential than others, but for me the hunt is not all about the kill, it's about the whole experience. Good luck and ENJOY your experience, kill or no kill!
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Muleys 24/7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Truer words were never spoken.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I waited a long time and saved up a lot of money to take a wilderness, guided elk hunt in a world famous area. It was a hunt of lifetime (AT LEAST FOR ME). Hunting was a bust, but got to experience some awsome, wild country. At first I was a bit disappointed, but it only took me about an hour after I started the drive home that I realized how much fun I had. Like Old Hunter said....FUN!
    I've spent literally thousands of hours on the water offshore fishing for Marlin & Tuna. At least 25% of the time you come home empty, but what a day on the water. I've sat hours & hours in a goose blind with my Lab, with nothing flying. But the sunrises ....Oh well you get the idea. The older you get the more enjoyment you have just being able to do these things.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm still going to look for a good one, I also realize thats not what it's all about. I already have an added focus for the hunt, thanks to you all.

Old Hunter, what you said really hit home, thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Take a minute to just soak in the surroundings. What do you see? What do you hear? What do you smell? There's always unique scenery, birds, animals, wildflowers, plants, interesting rocks, clouds, colors of the sunrise, smells of different trees and bushes. No phones ringing, or vehicles roaring. Take a moment to appreciate those things. Maybe snap a few pictures.

It's tough to top the feeling of being in the back country as the sun rises on a brand new day. Peace, excitement, anticipation, etc. It's special.