Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    Take a minute to just soak in the surroundings. What do you see? What do you hear? What do you smell? There's always unique scenery, birds, animals, wildflowers, plants, interesting rocks, clouds, colors of the sunrise, smells of different trees and bushes. No phones ringing, or vehicles roaring. Take a moment to appreciate those things. Maybe snap a few pictures.

It's tough to top the feeling of being in the back country as the sun rises on a brand new day. Peace, excitement, anticipation, etc. It's special.
    Yep....you have it down pat
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I felt the pressure when I had a sheep tag...after a summer full of scouting and feeling confident I think it's important to have a plan B in place, and then a plan C and even D if necessary.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I'm still going to look for a good one, I also realize thats not what it's all about. I already have an added focus for the hunt, thanks to you all.

Old Hunter, what you said really hit home, thanks.
    Good, i'm glad. Nothing wrong with going for that trophy. As long as you have fun doing it. Success or not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We ultimately just love animals and being out there. When the hunt doesn't work out, I just think about that monster buck or bull that is still out pushing his herd around. I get alot of enjoyment from my camera. I am hooking up the go-pro next year!! Also because everybody says I am such a clutz I should be able win Americas funny video just doing what I do.

see attached...............this is really what its all about.

good luck on the hunt!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9027.jpg   IMG_9018.jpg   IMG_9039.jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been there and felt the pressure. For me, it was the 10th day into a Utah LE archery elk hunt. I was having fun, but getting tired of not being able to fill the tag I had waited 10 years to have. I found that if you take a step back, enjoy the scenario and company it helps refocus and recharge the batteries...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I like everything you all have mentioned, I can relate to it all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have put the pressure on myself a few times, it can ruin the hunt if you let it. First time, I drew a Utah Archery elk tag in '05, after looking at so many 350" class bulls while scouting, I was so focused on breaking 370" that it almost became a marathon, never stopped to enjoy it. After passing a 370 class bull early on and missing a 360" at 30 yards I finally killed a 340 bull at 11 yards, and did it with my dad right by my side. Priceless. I did the same thing in Nevada when I drew my Archery elk tag with 4 points, wanted to make the most of it because the odds of getting a tag again are horrible. Again focused on breaking a score, was actually getting frustrated because all I could find was 290-325 class bulls everyday, I know sounds pathetic, and it was. Finally regrouped after 14 days and just enjoyed being there with my dad and ended up killing my best bull the next day.

Too often we get focused on killing trophies when we get LE tags, that we miss the point of it all. Enjoy the time with family and friends and often the solitude that comes with drawing a good tag and let the cards fall where they may, if you find a giant kill it, if not enjoy the experience for what it is. I regret not doing that more on my hunts. There is a difference between hunting hard and being dedicated, and putting the pressure on yourself to rewrite the record books and make the cover of a magazine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    All of these post are spot on! I have put so much pressure on myself to kill the biggest animal. I would put bench mark score of what I wanted and made myself miserable! I finally got to the point of giving myself anxiety attacks over it! So why bother anymore. I needed a vacation after my hunts to decompress.

I finally decided to stop going out of state and spending a bunch of money to hunt and stayed in my home state. Had a kid, and got my wife into hunting. Now with a new out look on life it has become my passion again because its now a family affair. I take great pride and have the sense of accomplishment when my wife or daughter takes a animal, even more then myself. The want to make it fun for them takes the pressure off of myself, they don't really care how big the animals are just that they want to have the chance in getting something and that is so much easier to do. Having them with me on my own hunts and having them there to celebrate the ups and downs is very calming for me.

Just like most of these posts you have to make it fun or your hunting for the wrong reasons.

Good luck on your hunt! Hope to see some pics

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks IKC, Its funny, I was thinking about the hunt as I was logging on. I am really looking forward to it. My 15 year old step daughter may be tagging along too. She loves to hunt, so why not have her with me?? Only about 6 month away, I need to get the 'Ol 25-06 dialed in soon.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    Thanks IKC, Its funny, I was thinking about the hunt as I was logging on. I am really looking forward to it. My 15 year old step daughter may be tagging along too. She loves to hunt, so why not have her with me?? Only about 6 month away, I need to get the 'Ol 25-06 dialed in soon.
    That would be a blast to have her with you! Good luck again!!