Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Same thing here in Washington and the tribes have ruined some areas by the massive amount of bucks and bulls they have killed. Makes me sick.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    This area has some of the best big buck hunting in the state. I agree with CC, the treaty needs to be honored. I think that the tribe has some ulterior motives. Maybe they plan on trying to sell some of these hunts in some way? If you like your high country hunting get use to bumping into a few more people than normal. I wonder if the local DOW officer will have any authority over these tagholders? On the Ute mountain res., they have quite the reputation for ignoring local laws. I can't imagine this having any good outcome!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This isn't a new thing, there have been Southern Ute tribal hunters exercising their rights under the Brunot Agreement for at least several years. If I understand last week's proceedings correctly, the new agreement applies to the Ute Mountain Ute tribe who now wishes to do the same. They have clearly defined bag limits and seasonal closures to follow, but I'm not sure on the specifics of either or how it's being monitored. A Ute acquaintance of mine told me there was an effort within the tribe to keep from ruffling any feathers while hunting off the rez. The few anecdotes I've heard have been fairly positive, other than the hunters cherry picking trophy bucks in December.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just sharing what I know.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Yea it is not a new thing and the Ute tribal members have been getting big bucks for years.

These bucks they hunt are not for the most part resident bucks and anyone can get a shot at them in the early season. Anyone ccan hunt either archery or muzzy in 70, 71, 74, 75, 751, 77, or 78 you can hunt the bucks before they migrate to the winter grounds.

That is a lot of high country but fair to say that it holds the best population of big mule deer in Colorado right now.