Thread: Arrow stops

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arrow stops

so i want to start shooting long distance with my bow i shoot bear carnage 70lbs ics bowhunter 340 carbon arrows. My question is what does everyone use for a backstop (plan on missing ALOT) thanks in advance

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Straw bails and card board but eventually the bails will break down due to weather etc. but it will work just have to swap them out and before you know it you won't even need them

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't start shooting at 60 or 70 yards.. Start with 20 or 30, and work your way back in 5-10 yard increments. You'll get a better feel for how your bow performs at all distances, and you won't sail an arrow 2 feet over your target either.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was looking at backstops just this past week and found this:

http://www.bupsports.com/

I need something in my backyard to go behind my RhinoBlock in the event I miss the box. $10 arrows flying 280fps into a block wall if I miss has already been done and it stings in my pocketbook.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I searched craigslist and found styrofoam from a loading dock. They are 8' x4' x18" thick. My backstop is 32' wide. And 8' tall. I painted the styrofoam with a spray gun and a couple gallons of thick elastomeric pain to keep it from weathering.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Last year I got tired of buying new targets every year. I picked up Morrel's Range Target, after reading lots of good reviews. I built a frame to hang it from, suppose to help last longer if it can swing. Shot all summer and have yet to have an arrow stick out the far side. I've been very impressed and its large enough to provide comfort for the long shots. You can replace the cover and I hope to get 5+ years, for field points only.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check with local shipyards if you have them also any overseas packing warehouse usually have big pieces of styrofoam...when I used to live it Pittsburgh I got some from the local packing places for $25 for 4x8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Places like Home of Economy, or Tractor Supply. When they get in a shipment of trailers they are packed with rectangle styrofoam blocks. I built a backstop against my house in my yard a few years ago and it's still holding up. I used t posts to wedge them against the house and used ratchet straps to hold it all together nice and tight.

Just recently, I built another for indoor use since I have access to a heated warehouse where I can shoot to about 75-80 yds. I made it pretty big as my boss wouldn't appreciate holes in the warehouse. Plywood frame built onto a pallet for easy moving with one of our forklifts. In the Spring and Summer I do most all my shooting behind one of our warehouses so this will get moved out there then. I also bought a bigger bag target for when I shoot at longer ranges. I got sick of losing arrows!!

There is two layers of blocks behind that cardboard, and I used cardboard on the sides to wedge things tight. Ain't pretty, but it'll work.
    Last edited by Whisky; 02-08-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks everyone for getting back at me for my post. I have tried to get some styrofoam but dont seem to be having any luck so far but i am going to keep trying after all persistence pays off right? I will let everyone know how i make out thanks again.