Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Resident PP Bill.

Found this little beauty today in my travels. Didnt even know it was in the works with all the hype of the price increase bill. Curious as to how much or little everyone supports this bill.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2013/Introduced/SF0085.pdf

Thanks
    No thanks, leave the system alone. The most "fair" system is a totally random draw.

Thanks
    I don't have a horse in this race, but one thing I have definitely noted about 20 years of point games. The politicians love to sell points, then 5-10 years later screw those who bought them by devaluing them via "rule changes". The list of states is endless. The way to screw the early investors is endless. And the politicians love to devise new ways to water down the value in an effort to get new ground floor investors' fresh money. Politicians love the smell of fresh money over old money.

In my 20 years of point buying, the only states that have not devalued my points were Arizona & New Hampshire. That is it. The worst case was Maine, where after 6 years they started peddling 10 point packs for $50 or something to newbies. Talk about cutting in line! I sure hope New Mexico does not go to any point system.

Thanks
    In MT, the rule change greatly aided early investors. Originally points only slightly increased your odds, but now those same points are squared.

Thanks
    I also have no dog in this fight but I find it disturbing that we have to discuss politicians and big game stuff in the same conversation. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by canvsbk View Post
    I also have no dog in this fight but I find it disturbing that we have to discuss politicians and big game stuff in the same conversation. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    It is certainly a sad state of affairs, but that is certainly the reality.

Check out my post on this topic, and especially the first 2 links up at the top. Unreal bickering to steal money:
    http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforum...SAGES=19&FF=15

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWyo View Post
    No thanks, leave the system alone. The most "fair" system is a totally random draw.
    How is the random draw the most "fair"??? I used to put in for an elk area that had favorable draw odds but never once drew a tag out of that area but there were a few people that I know of that drew the same tag every single year. The only people that would think that this would be fair are the people who just happen to draw the tag every year and even some of those people would consider that unfair. A preference point system will give everybody a chance to hunt every couple of years if you stay on top of points and application dates. If that does not work for some people because the are simple minded forgetful people then they don't really want to hunt that bad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyohunter View Post
    How is the random draw the most "fair"??? I used to put in for an elk area that had favorable draw odds but never once drew a tag out of that area but there were a few people that I know of that drew the same tag every single year. The only people that would think that this would be fair are the people who just happen to draw the tag every year and even some of those people would consider that unfair. A preference point system will give everybody a chance to hunt every couple of years if you stay on top of points and application dates. If that does not work for some people because the are simple minded forgetful people then they don't really want to hunt that bad.
    A pure random draw is the very definition of fair. How much more fair can you get than everyone having the same random chance as everyone else? What you experienced is just bad luck, over a lifetime of drawing, you will most likely draw that tag just as often as everyone else.

What wouldn't be fair, is when your state starts a preference point system for residents, and then 15 years down the road, you have a kid thats ready to hunt, but, he or she will never draw a good tag, because they are 15 years behind the point game.

Thanks
    A preference point is badly needed in WY for residents for elk, deer, and antelope. This legislation still allows for 25% of tag quota to be issued for a random draw. So that meets your idea of "fairness". 75% then is issued in the preference point system. If you look throughout the state at draw odds, most "Blue Chip" areas could be drawn in a 5 year window. This would allow guys to better plan their hunts and be assured an opportunity to hunt this area, should they choose. Their is ample opportunity to still hunt elk, deer, and antelope through 2nd and 3rd choice as well as reduced price tags. This allows for people hunt, put meat in the freezer, and build points for a future "trophy" hunt. I agree and have experienced first hand how true luck plays a role in getting opportunities to hunt. But I also was rewarded for putting in 16 years of applying/buyings points and being afforded an opportunity to hunt a trophy species. This legislation helps provide opportunities for those not as "lucky" and again boils down to all of us working hard to contribute time and dollars towards habitat and animal conservation that ultimatley puts more critters on the mountain and more tags/hunts available. I support this legislation 100%.

Thanks
    As a nonresident it is pretty handy to be able to know when and where you should be able to draw a tag. Frustrating sometimes to actually know the pretty much predetermined outcome but much better for makeing plans. I can see the advantages when I think about it a bit. Any change in what you may be accustomed to most likely won't be welcome at first blush.