Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is the most fair because everyone has exactly the same chance at a license. No one "deserves" a license, no matter how many times they've played the game. Just because someone doesn't draw a tag that they want, it doesn't make the system unfair. It's pretty simple, with a random draw, everyone is on a level playing field, the same chance as everyone else, every year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWyo View Post
    It is the most fair because everyone has exactly the same chance at a license. No one "deserves" a license, no matter how many times they've played the game. Just because someone doesn't draw a tag that they want, it doesn't make the system unfair. It's pretty simple, with a random draw, everyone is on a level playing field, the same chance as everyone else, every year.
    You are right, nobody "deserves" a tag. However, the way the system is currently set up it is quite possible that a Person could apply for thirty years and never draw the tag but the same persons neighbor can solely and receive the same tag every one of the same thirty years. The people who make the laws can clearly see that this no matter how you add it up "is not fair". That is why , like it or not, Wyoming will be changing to a residents point system. For those of you that are worried about point creep, there is no need to be worried. The only places that points will creep are the areas that are extremely hard to draw, but with wyomings elk, deer and antelope populations there are not many of those areas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The only people that can't draw a tag in 30 years are the people putting in for tags with draw odds less than 5%. The only people drawing tags 30 years in a row are those that are hunting exclusively in general areas. Let's be a little more realistic. The truth is that the vast majority of resident hunters pull a limited tag for one species or another every few years at most, unless they are holding out for a unit/hunt with extremely poor odds. The units that can't be drawn in 20+ years will take even longer with a preference point system, they will become at best, once in a lifetime (or possibly never). The units that will take 2-3 years to draw with points can now be drawn every 2-3 years if not more often.

I think you are right about one thing, sooner or later, there will be a resident points system, but I don't think it has anything to do with what's right or fair, more likely who makes the most noise.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All i can say as a resident i'm mixed on this one

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I too have no "skin" in this game outside of me and my family from Wisconsin hunting Wyoming our entire lives, my late grandfather starting in the 50's. I love the state of Wyoming as much as I love my home state of WI. I think residents of WY are the ones for the input on this one.

I do however understand, but am disappointed on the tag increases for us nonresidents. It does make it harder and harder for a "DIY public land" guy like me to keep forking over more and more to participate in the sport I love (hunting) in one of the most beautiful states in the US of A (Wyoming).

Thats all I have to say on the topic.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Curious as to which draw is more "fair", the Special or the Regular?
    If this passes, you'll be getting both.

Then there's that real beauty of legislation, the points transfer. A real buffoon thought that up that one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hold on guys. You're starting to talk about 2 different bills. Senate File 85 is the bill, currently passed reading in the Senate and now in the House, that deals with establishing a Resident Preference Point system. House Bill 124 is legislation that deals with transfer of preference points from a family member to another direct family member. From what I've heard among sportsmen and legislators, the House Bill 124 is gaining no traction and is most likely not going to go anywhere. Senate File 85 is moving along and will most likely get voted on. I absolutely do NOT support HB124!!! You are asking for some really raw and unethical practice here. I do support Senate File 85 as previously discussed. I think there is a tremendous amount of good dialogue, for and against, in this thread. I really appreciate all of you who weigh in on these issues, both in state and out of state. Unlike a lot of Washington politicians, I feel its good food for thought to always listen to opposing views. Its the best way to always lea

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I support SF85 but absolutely do not support HB124 that bill is a load of crock!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A preference point system would be excellent. Have one friend who has drawn one bull elk tag in over 30 years of applying (for a less than premier area). I don't think it's right that some people seem to draw the same tags year after year while others have difficulty, and this is coming from somebody who has been fortunate in the lottery system.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I support resident preference points. In a 13 year span I drew 5 any elk tags for a premium area known for big bulls. During that same time period, my close buddy drew 1 any elk tag. Now how fair is that? This point system will assure that everyone gets to draw approximately the same number of tags over a certain time period, given all applicants apply the same or don't draw in the 25% random draw.