Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What maps do you use?

I would like to know what type of paper maps everyone uses (satellite image, topo, hybrid) and at what scale.
    Also, where do you get them from?

I am in the process of planning my first Wyoming mule deer hunt in Oct 2013.
    At Mytopo.com you can build your own map (satellite or topo) with unit boudaries along with public and private boundaries. These maps show roads and forest sevice roads too. They even have a water proof, tear resistant 'paper' available. The only downside that I see is cost. The satellite image map at 1:25,000 scale is a bit over $60.00 when printed on the water proof paper. It takes about 2 maps to get 1 unit covered.

All input and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    I bought maps from mytopo.com and they only cost me $15 per map on the waterproof paper. I bought the plain topo with public and private boundaries. When I get more maps I plan on buying the hybrid maps. I like the 1:25,000 scale. Another place is otbpmaps.com.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ssliger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    I bought maps from mytopo.com and they only cost me $15 per map on the waterproof paper. I bought the plain topo with public and private boundaries. When I get more maps I plan on buying the hybrid maps. I like the 1:25,000 scale. Another place is otbpmaps.com.

Just wanted to resurrect this one, I just got my maps in from these guys.

They have the USGS maps, which I like, but I also found out that you can specify an area that you want, i.e., it can span several USGS maps, add grids, pre-folded, etc, plus the waterproofing.

For the cost of 3 non-waterproof paper USGS maps plus shipping, I got three maps that cover all of the areas where I'll be hunting, getting wood, etc and cover the area of about 12 USGS maps.

Quite nice, thanks again.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    yeah the 1:25,000 are great back ups. cant beat a gps. no way no how, until battery dies or you lose it. ha, my buddy lost his bran new garmin 2 years ago. 2 days after he bought it on the mountain. he came into camp way late just cursing and cussing. we got lucky and stumbled across it 3 days later. it was at the bottom of a canyon he said he was never in bottom of. the sucker musta rolled down the steep slope. so they are sturdy and water proof. good tool for anyone in backcountry.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I use the Gazetteer maps. Not sure what scale they are but I really like them. With a good GPS and gazetteer I feel pretty good about where I am and how to get to where I'm going.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    http://plicmapcenter.org/

I've bought maps from the map center on the link above. I've used mytopo.com, I really like the outlined units. I also use the Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme for the entire state along with my Garmin GPS. For Wyoming, I bought the card that shows all the public & private ground along with landowner names. Best $100 I've ever spent on maps!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the standard BLM maps backed up with the GPS chip from http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/. Just make sure everything agrees between both. I noticed a boundry issue in my antelope unit last year. The GPS chip was off by a couple hundred yards in one spot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    http://store.usgs.gov

I got the USGS topo maps, they're not protected in any way, but I got 4 maps for $37 shipped. I keep the section(s) that I need in 1-gallon ziploc bags (1 map per bag, it makes them easier to handle), you fold them so that the area that you will be in is facing out and then you don't need to take it out of the bag.

Here's a link to one of the maps: http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/catal...00000000046778

They're 1:24,000. The only hard part is initially finding the maps you want. They name a particular map section after a major landmark or city in the section, which can be a guessing game. I ended up finding one section, getting the names of the adjacent sections from the bottom of the map and then looking up the section in the direction I want to go.

You can also download the maps as PDFs for free. You could theoretically print them on 8.5 x 11 paper, but IMO, the full-size maps are worth the money.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mytopo - mainly because you can customize the area the map covers. I seem to be unlucky with USGS maps where the area I hunt happens to span more than one map and its a pain to deal with multiple.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bughalli View Post
    Mytopo - mainly because you can customize the area the map covers. I seem to be unlucky with USGS maps where the area I hunt happens to span more than one map and its a pain to deal with multiple.
    I use my topo as well. I'll gladly pay a little extra to have more of my hunt area in my map, instead of another unit.