Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bitterroot - I also need to decide on straight vs angled. What's your preference?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I am firmly in the angled camp.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I am firmly in the angled camp.
    Is that because you stand a lot of the time or its just easier on your neck?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It allows for shorter, lighter tripods.
    Easier for multiple people to use.
    Less frequent tripod adjustments.
    It is easier to bend me neck down than up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

spooter size

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Now I see what you are saying. It just don't see the utility in comparing exit pupils at differing magnifications. Sure the maximum magnifications will have similar exit pupils, but the 85 has more magnification, so what are you really comparing? If I was just going for exit pupil, I would use a 7X50 binocular.

The 65 vs. 85 debate is always the same. The 65s are smaller and lighter, and the 85s have advantages in magnifcation and low light. I wrestle with this one all the time myself. Lately I have been hauling the 85mm spotter everwhere, while my 50mm spotter hardly got any use this past season.
    Bitterroot are you bivywacken or hunting out of camp. I want a spooter put just can't figure on what size. I love the Razor 85 I looked through, but was wondering if the weight will kill me in the high country.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by cacklercrazy View Post
    Bitterroot are you bivywacken or hunting out of camp. I want a spooter put just can't figure on what size. I love the Razor 85 I looked through, but was wondering if the weight will kill me in the high country.
    I primarily backpack hunt (bivy camp) and hunt off horseback (wall tent camp). I have been using the 85mm spotter for both lately.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I too prefer the angled over the straight spotters.

One thing I would probably do instead of the Vortex is find a used non-HD Swaro ATS spotting scope. The non-HD versions are cheap and a killer scope. I don't think the HD is worth the money personally. My older Leica's are not HD and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I just picked up a used Swaro ATS-65 HD with the 20-60x eyepiece and the stay-on case for $1750 and the lenses look like new! New these would have been over $2,400.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Personally,

When it comes to the 80mm class spotters, which I have used quite a bit, I would definitely go for a Razor HD over the non-HD Swaro. Much better CA control.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Finally received my new Vortex Razor HD 65mm spotting scope. This is my first spotting scope to own and my first Vortex product to own. I have had it out a few times over the past several days and I am impressed. The weather has been fairly wet and warm in North Louisiana, so I am getting a lot of mirage most days when I crank it up much past 32X. This spotting scope has a very sharp, bright, and clear image, minus the mirage. My son and I were watching 4 deer at over a mile away down a powerline right of way just before dark and the low light performance was impressive as well. This thing feels like it is built very solid too. Glad I read all of the Vortex reviews on this forum as well as other forums. I am glad I went with the 65 mm too. It is about as big as I want to carry around in a pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by LaHunter View Post
    Finally received my new Vortex Razor HD 65mm spotting scope. This is my first spotting scope to own and my first Vortex product to own. I have had it out a few times over the past several days and I am impressed. The weather has been fairly wet and warm in North Louisiana, so I am getting a lot of mirage most days when I crank it up much past 32X. This spotting scope has a very sharp, bright, and clear image, minus the mirage. My son and I were watching 4 deer at over a mile away down a powerline right of way just before dark and the low light performance was impressive as well. This thing feels like it is built very solid too. Glad I read all of the Vortex reviews on this forum as well as other forums. I am glad I went with the 65 mm too. It is about as big as I want to carry around in a pack.
    Try to get it out early in the morning, or the in the late evening. There should be no mirage at higher power.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club