Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Snowy Range/Sierra Madres for Elk

i know this will seem last minute, because it is, but due to our plans for a resident guide falling through to hunt out by Cody, my hunting partner and I are looking at changing our plans completely and hunting the Snowy's and/or Sierra's by Laramie since there looks to be more non-wilderness areas there and it sounds like the elk population is decent. We looked into 116 but sounds like access is pretty poor there and a trip there last weekend confirmed it.
    Looking at the General units of 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 21 and 110. We will have to stay off wilderness areas but willing to put miles on our boots each day. Not looking for GPS coordinates, but if anyone is willing to give us some general advice on where to start, I'd appreciate it. Also would take advice on where to park our camper as a base. Would like to get away from the atvs as much as possible. Will be coming out on 9/13-9/21 for archery. Just looking to fill the freezers, antlers are a bonus.
    PM me with any advice you're willing to share.
    thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 7 Posts
    Good golly, that's next Saturday and you're asking a lot for a first post here on the site, especially when you say you're not looking for a honeyhole or coordinates and then ask for a spot to camp. That would sort of be asking right where to hunt since most people don't camp very far from where they hunt. Good luck, as I'm not familiar at all with that area way down there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    a little bit late to be asking..........especially for just signing up. well good luck to you! Post some pics if you have any success

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    i know this will seem last minute, because it is, but due to our plans for a resident guide falling through to hunt out by Cody, my hunting partner and I are looking at changing our plans completely and hunting the Snowy's and/or Sierra's by Laramie since there looks to be more non-wilderness areas there and it sounds like the elk population is decent. We looked into 116 but sounds like access is pretty poor there and a trip there last weekend confirmed it.
    Looking at the General units of 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 21 and 110. We will have to stay off wilderness areas but willing to put miles on our boots each day. Not looking for GPS coordinates, but if anyone is willing to give us some general advice on where to start, I'd appreciate it. Also would take advice on where to park our camper as a base. Would like to get away from the atvs as much as possible. Will be coming out on 9/13-9/21 for archery. Just looking to fill the freezers, antlers are a bonus.
    PM me with any advice you're willing to share.
    thanks
    There's elk all over those areas. They take a lot of pressure from hunters and atvs. Since you can't hunt wilderness, look for areas on the map that don't have a lot of roads and/or are steep. Most don't like to get out too far from the road.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the replies. Is it crowded during the week during archery season in this area too?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 82 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Is it crowded during the week during archery season in this area too?
    Pistolpete,

I grew up hunting these areas. There won't be much pressure during the week. Elk are spread out all over so you honestly find them anywhere. Check out Rob Roy reservoir for a camping spot. Great fishing and plenty of elk around the lake and surrounding areas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. We ended up going to the Madres and had a great week although we didn't tag an elk. We had bulls within 100 yards 5 out of the 6 days we hunted, I missed one at 35 yards, got bull fever and used the wrong pin. My buddy had one at 10 yards but he came in too quiet and he couldn't draw without getting busted. Most of them hung up out past 60 yards though. I think next week would have been the better week because the bulls came in better as the week went on but next week wasn't an option for us. The elk do seem a little call shy and most came in silent. We put on an average of 10 miles a day finding a couple good areas a couple miles from the closest road, we never saw another hunter in the woods once we got a mile or more in.
    I have a question for anyone who has rifle hunted the Madres. If we were to go back to our newly discovered spots for the rifle opener, what will the pressure be like 2-3 miles off the road? Trying to decide if it would be worth the 14 hour drive from Iowa since I've heard it is a zoo during rifle season.
    Thanks

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    Pressure will be higher, and elk don't always stay where they rut. Figure on going higher to find them if possible.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 82 Times in 9 Posts
    I have rifle hunted there 2 different years. Plenty of hunters for sure but for a meat hunter there should be opportunities. The number of hunters honestly helped both times I went as they kept the elk moving around. If a guy can find a travel corridor and sit, you should end up with elk in your lap sooner or later. Good luck.