Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unit 38 Archery Elk

Curious if anyone here has bowhunted elk in unit 38. Been searching through archives and seen some good comments, then a few that say they ran into a lot of other hunters. One in our party is one point below max, so this looks to be one of our few options if we want to draw this year.

Thanks
    Yes, there are tons of people that hunt 38. You won't just run in to elk hunters either. You have mule deer hunting, sage grouse and bear season all at the same time.

Thanks
    Do you know if there is some high country we could backpack up into to get away from at least the grouse hunters? I'm also curious if the NR archery deer permits there are by draw only, or if there are leftovers (in case we fill elk tags early). Thanks.
    Last edited by Zim; 01-24-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks
    That is region Y you would be hunting in, and last year the tags sold out sortly after the leftover list came out. In 2011 there were tags available throughout the season, but they reduced the number of tags from 2011 to 2012.

Thanks
    Just a heads up, last year there was no archery hunting in 38 unless you had a type 9 license. Pretty sure. I about applied for unit 40 type 1 special wanting to archery hunt early, odds were 75% in random draw if I didn't get my first choice, but archery with type 1 wasn't offered last year, so I changed it. I want the type one so I can go back with a rifle if I so desire especially if I burn my points on first choice.

Thanks
    I looked at 38 pretty hard but decided I wanted to bust one with the 7STW if I couldn't get it done with the bow so I went to another unit.
    In 38, most of the roads are on top and you'll probably be packing down into the main drainages where you can then get under them with the thermals in your face.
    If you've added the topo server to your google earth you can find the roadless areas up in the nw quarter of the unit where packing in is the way to go.
    here is a link to the online FS maps for Wyoming.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/m...ed-index.shtml

Thanks
    The type 9 tags for archery only usually have a season that goes from sept 1-15th. Then they usually let the general archery tag holders hunt the 2nd half of the month. They might have changed that in that unit, I'm not sure. There are a ton of people that hunt the big horns. Lots of them go upin hunting parties and if they are unsuccessful drawing an elk, they will grouse hunt or deer hunt. Lots of atv trails and lots of people using them. Your best bet is to hike a long ways off the beaten path. Even then, sometimes you will run into lots of people.

Thanks
    The 38 type 9 season is sept 1-30. It is not a general unit, it's a limited draw.
    If you walk far enough, you can get away from the all the other hunters.

Thanks
    There is no wilderness areas and there is a ton of road access. My limited exposure to the area though is that most of the hunters just drive the roads on their ATVs. And there is a LOT of these folks, however, when I went about a half mile off the road, never encountered anybody. Like Jen said, its limited entry draw for elk, you just have to contend with all the deer hunters.

Thanks
    Sorry Jen, I meant general archery as in those that buy an archery tag, not put in for the type 9. Other areas around the state have a season from sept. 1-15th for type 9 then sept 16-30th for the general archery tag holders. I thought area 38 use to be that way.