Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am far from wild about this hunt, but I got enough input from Bowsite guys who drew it last year, that I don't feel it is a total reach to spend my points there. So it looks like we will go for it before they raise the fees next year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Zim, the bill to raise fees was shot down today. No tag increases coming next year..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ya I just heard. That's very good. Curious what the reason was. Maybe what happened in Montana.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    38 type 9 - if you put your boots and pack on you can get away from people. There's some steep country. We ran into 1 hunter and a lot of cows. Saw some bulls, passed on a few bulls. Good unit...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live in Denver. I've spent a lot of time in unit 38 during bow season. If you look hard you'll find that there are some honey holes that many hunters do not know about. I know of a rugged basin in the unit that is full of elk. I've been to this basin some thirty times in the last ten years and I have failed to enter the basin yet without running into elk. The elk up there are very vocal. Bulls bugle all morning long, sometimes I'll hear four of five of them screaming.
    However, there are units that are much better than 38. 38 is close to Denver. In addition the rifle tags are sold over the counter for this unit. While the elk populations are strong, the bull to cow ratio is not as high as other units. The elk are also smarter in this unit because they get jumped four or five times a day during elk seasons. They've all seen death and carnage and so have become habitually skittish. They will stay in the timber and brush more often than in other units. But, for the hunter who is willing to scout and go into rough country, he will find elk in good numbers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j50wells View Post
    I live in Denver. I've spent a lot of time in unit 38 during bow season. If you look hard you'll find that there are some honey holes that many hunters do not know about. I know of a rugged basin in the unit that is full of elk. I've been to this basin some thirty times in the last ten years and I have failed to enter the basin yet without running into elk. The elk up there are very vocal. Bulls bugle all morning long, sometimes I'll hear four of five of them screaming.
    However, there are units that are much better than 38. 38 is close to Denver. In addition the rifle tags are sold over the counter for this unit. While the elk populations are strong, the bull to cow ratio is not as high as other units. The elk are also smarter in this unit because they get jumped four or five times a day during elk seasons. They've all seen death and carnage and so have become habitually skittish. They will stay in the timber and brush more often than in other units. But, for the hunter who is willing to scout and go into rough country, he will find elk in good numbers.
    The thread is unit 38 Wyoming, and it appears you are discussing Colorado???? 38 is about as far from Denver can be without leaving wyoming.