Thread: Colorado Bear

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado Bear

Just curious, is anyone here building points for bear or has hunted them in CO? If a guy was to go there, arent there some OTC units? I'm already applying for elk and deer, thought maybe I'd maybe start building points for bear too. What type of hunting is it and are there many bears there? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am thinking about getting an otc tag for unit 85 as well. I called in a big one last year elk hunting. I think there is a pretty good bear population in that unit. The biologist told me that during the fall they can usually be found in the oak brush eating the acorns. Which isn't helpful to me as I don't know what an oak brush looks like!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I saved points for 5 years and drew a bear tag for unit 61 a couple years ago. Saw some bears and was successful. The fall bear season lasts the month of september. There aren't to many units that take alot of points. I think most guy's just get the OTC bear tag for wahtever rifle, archery, or muzzleloading Elk or Deer season their hunting. It's not a big priority for me so I save points in hopes of hunting every few years and in the mean time try to get an ajoining OTC bear tag for one of the seasons I'm hunting Elk or Deer.
    Last edited by CoHiCntry; 03-31-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Addition

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My address is 101 N Bear Paw Ct, Bear Creek, Co. Really, its Antonito, Co. I think thats a cool address. I have an app in for unit 68. I have seen a really large color phase bear for several years and hope to find him again. I don't think there are a large number of bear in unit 68 but can usually find one in a days time. Last year a bear slept in my yard ( its a second home for a nonresident) That bear was not afraid of people until one of my neighbors scared it. There is a den only about one mile away. I have filmed that bear feeding.
    OTC usually requires you to have a deer or elk tag for the same season.
    The big bear I am looking for is sometimes in unit 52 in NM and you can get an OTC tag there, too.
    NDHUNTER if you get an OTC for unit 78 Co I can put you on a bear.
    We have some really good bear here in Arkansas and I have a place to hunt with bear on it also. Mostly I have hunted bear with a camera.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Going to get an OTC Unit 84 bear tag this MLer season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    NDHunter - My last bear hunt in Colorado was unit 54, west of Gunnison. The habitat is excellent, the food sources are abundant and the bear population is good. I scouted for a week before season, saw several nice bears. Tagged out opening day. Look up the food sources if you're not familiar with them. The one's I found most abundant were the service berries and choke cherries. There's Gambel's Oak around as well. The trick I found was a remote water source, hidden for the most part in thick cover.
    Good Luck...and if you'd like a bit more detailed information please don't hesitate to contact me.
    I might take the liberty to recommend a butcher shop, look up Kinikin Processing over toward Montrose, you won't be disappointed.
    The butcher shops in Gunnison aren't worth the time to look at.
    Fetch