Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to summit county area

I am new to this area and just wondering how the hunting is around here...I am not looking for anyone's honey holes or anything just wanna get some insight on the area from people who have hunted it...stories are always great as well from elk to turkey...i did get to spend a couple days in October in the rock creek area...looked nice(was just hiking around) but it seemed like a lot of hunters there as well...any insight would be great
    Thanks guys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have hunted unit 36 extensively, I hunted from the Vail side and have been to the tops of most peaks in the Gore range, Great hunting. I have my sheep, goat, several deer and a couple of elk from there. It is tough hunting but there are places where the deer like to hang out untill the snow falls. Most of the hunters are in the timber and few venture into Eagles Nest Wilderness area without some sort of pack animal. I would stay away from the Piney lake drainage as good access make it a popular area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks bkc for the info...I have no problem going anywhere I have to as long as I can find them...anyone else?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anyone else?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hi BKC. I too have never hunted the Eagles Nest wilderness. If I'm going for mule deer, is second season better than third? I noticed that there are almost 500 tags issued for that area in 2nd rifle (DM035O2R). Is it actually possible to get away from the crowds that close to I-70 and with that many hunters?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    After the first snow, the bucks bail out of the high country and head for the timber. I think that both hunts are about the same. If I had my choice I would probabbly hunt the later rifle season and hope for snow and try to sit in a good drainage on a well used trail. That is a tough unit to get away from other hunters, especially after the snows come and get man and the game closer together. I have always hunted that unit up high in sept. and oct. Maybe look up the piney river from State bridge after the snow flies, that is a pretty good migration corridor for both elk and deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 2 Posts
    I hunt that area on the Summit County side for deer and elk as a back up plan. The hunting can be good but I don't hunt within a mile of any trail or parking area. There are some giant bulls and bucks but after the first day of archery season they vacate anywhere near a road or trail. Your best bet is to start backpacking this summer and find some off the beaten path areas that are holding bachelor groups of bucks. Don't let the groups of deer and elk near roads and highly used trails fool you. I learned that the hard way 11 years ago when I first started hunting the back country. I found about 100 elk and some nice bucks about 3/4 of a mile off of I-70 and thought I had found some sweet honey hole. Opening day showed me that at least 12 other people new about my honey hole as well. Use the crowds to your advantage, go deep into the back country and they will chase the animals to you.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds like a good idea to me. You can hunt the summit county side with the tag for unit 18, right? I am planning on that as a second or third choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unit 18 is not Summit county, that is in Grand county, But yes there are a few units that an archery, muzzleload, and rifle tag are good for.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 2 Posts
    Not sure how the rifle seasons are. I only hunt archery or muzzle loader over there.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!