Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I have a Christiansen Arms with a Remington titanium action, a titanium muzzle break, a carbon fiber stock that is chambered in the 300 WSM. It kicks like a 243, but it will make your ears ring. It is 6.5 pounds scoped, and shoots 0.6" groups, even with factory ammo. I've had it since 2005 or 2006. It is all my wife and I hunt with. She has shot an elk, 3 antelope, a mule deer, and a bighorn with it in the last 3 years.

I would fall into the group BB mentioned. I like it so much it's creepy. There's a reason the company has grown as much as it has.

I killed the ram in my avatar with in in 2009 on a solo backpack hunt in Wyoming.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-04-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I have a Christiansen Arms with a Remington titanium action, a titanium muzzle break, a carbon fiber stock that is chambered in the 300 WSM. It kicks like a 243, but it will make your ears ring. It is 6.5 pounds scoped, and shoots 0.6" groups, even with factory ammo. .

Nice!
    What scope do you have it topped with?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    You couldn't give me another Christensen Arms, Between there terrible customer service and less than desirable gunsmithing. I had one for about 3 years and couldn't find a load that would even come close to shooting a decent group, so I tore the gun apart sold the barrel and stock and the 1st load out of the new setup was under .5". It might be heavier but that is fine. Good Luck if you decide to go that route! It went from 8 to 10 pounds with a heavier and longer barrel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	5138
    Last edited by woodtick; 02-04-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

followmeoutdoors.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Dang woodtick, sounds like a bad experiance. I've heard mainly good things about them.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    Dang woodtick, sounds like a bad experiance. I've heard mainly good things about them.
    It was a horrible experience, probably one in a thousand! but it definitely turned me away. For the price they sale them guns for you could save yourself a ton of money and have a well known smith build you exactly what you want and not have a gun that every one else has. I have a 260 Ackley Improved built on a Rem 700 action that is blue printed, krieger barrel and one of a kind HS stock topped with a Leupold Mark 4 granted it took almost 2 years for me to find screaming deals on the parts to put it together. I have $2500 in it with all the brass, dies, scope etc and it weighs in at 7 3/4 lbs with scope and shoots groups almost consistently in the .3-.4 range if I'm not loaded up on red bulls. Nothing against the guys who own a carbon barreled rifle, but carbon is an insulator and if ya search the web you'll see guys that have done tests on the bore temp with carbon(a lot hotter bore temps) and plain steel barrels. Kinda made me rethink the whole carbon idea.

Hope this helps

$350 Donor Action with bottom metal and trigger group
    $250 Barrel
    $300 Stock
    $750 Scope
    $650 Smith work($200 Chamber& Crown, $250 Blue Print, $50 Trigger Job, $150 Inlet and Fit action/barrel)
    $200 Rings, Bases, Dies and 200 Brass
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	621151_4395242408535_297098664_o.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	5147
    Last edited by woodtick; 02-09-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

followmeoutdoors.blogspot.com

Thanks
    That's a nice gun as well, but I belive one of the main reasons why people get carbon is the weight.....right? The same go's with backpacking gear as I'm sure you know, you will always pay alot more to get the lighter gear. I guess it's a peferance thing to each own if the extra cost to save a couple pounds is worth it.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    got an old rem 700 from my dad and going to rebuild it. To many bad vibes on the christensen. It may not be as light but at least I know it will shoot. Thanks for everyones input. I like to shoot some and sometimes alot, Doesn't sound like a carbon barrel is the way to go for me.

Thanks
    sdcowboy, the barrel and the gunsmith you chose will make all the difference. Do you own research, there are a several very good barrel manufacturers. With that said, Krieger barrels are very hard to beat for a custom build. They are very well known in long range shooting competitions. Good Luck.

Thanks
    Keep in mind that Christensen Arms basically has two types of barrels.

1) My understanding is on one hand they take a factory built rifle, turn the barrel down and carbon wrap it. My recollection is these do not have the accuracy guarantee that the fully custom rifles have. This is their lower cost option.

2) The fully custom rifles begin with a select match grade Shilen stainless steel barrel. That barrel is turned down then graphite wrapped. That is the way I went on my rifle, and I have been thrilled with it. It's the only rifle I have hunted with for the past 6 years. I have slowly been selling off some of my other rifles. I couldn't be more happy with mine.

I'm working off old memories from engineering classes about 25 years ago, but I recall one of the major advantages of carbon fiber is the very low coefficient of thermal expansion, which is far lower than steel. That means it will dimensional change far less than a steel barrel as it heats up, which helps maintain your shot to shot consistency.

If the carbon wrapped barrel technology was basically flawed, you would hear complaints everywhere. The fact that you don't tells you that those that have had problems, likely got a "lemon". That's gonna happen occasionally with any product no matter how good the product is.