Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Party draw question

I'm planning to try and enter the draw for NR antelope this year. I've put in for pref points over the last 4 years, and have put my daughter in for 1 (this was her first year allowed to apply). So, I have 4 points, she has one point. I've put in soley for the purpose of taking her on an antelope hunt. She's wanted to do this since she was 6 or 7 (dont ask me why). Anyways, the question is, if I put in a party application, do the points add up then divide by the number of people in the party? If this is so, we would have 2.5, which I just assume, will be rounded down (which would result in the loss of a point). Do, I have this right? I suppose I could put us in seperately, which would give me a probable draw for the units we are considering (63,83). But that would sort of defeat the effort (getting her a tag) I dont think I would be legally allowed to let her "shoot" my tag (Alaska allows this). So, do they combine points then divide and round down or is there another method the WY G&F follows?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The way I understand it, your points will not be rounded. You will have 2.5 points. You will be in the pool in between 2 and 3 points. Say for example everyone in the 3 point pool draws and their are 2 tags leftover. Assuming no one else has higher than an average of 2.5 points, you will get the last tags. If you look at the draw odds, you will see columns for "<3" points, that's where you would be. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yup, that's the way I understand it too. 3 points, <3, 2 points, <2... Etc.
    Why not get a tag for any antelope for your daughter and you buy a left over doe tag...AND...get another point for you. Next year you've got one hunt in, maybe a nice goat on the wall, and you're right back to that 2 1/2 point level for the two of you again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    That is the way I understand it as well. Last year (according to hunterstrailhead.com) it took 4 points (100%) & 3 points (45%) to draw 63. It took 3 points (100%) & 2 points (80%) to draw 83. So with 2.5 points there is good chance you might draw 83. I got lucky last year & got a 63-2 leftover. 63-2 is the east half of the unit. Who knows how many it will take to draw it this year? With 2.5 points you certainly have some good options. I think it is awesome that you our taking your daughter on an antelope hunt. Wyoming antelope is the best western hunt to cut you teeth on. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by canvsbk View Post
    Yup, that's the way I understand it too. 3 points, <3, 2 points, <2... Etc.
    Why not get a tag for any antelope for your daughter and you buy a left over doe tag...AND...get another point for you. Next year you've got one hunt in, maybe a nice goat on the wall, and you're right back to that 2 1/2 point level for the two of you again.
    Honestly, I dont plan on chasing antelope very often. I'd love to get in a good hunt, see lots of animals, and hopefully shoot a couple of bucks that we would be happy with. I'm not interested in holding out for a monster. Maybe that will change after we get to chase these guys around. If we do draw, and lose the points, I'd probably just put into the pool again and wait another 5 or so years (pretty expensive proposition to do it much more often). With the youth points at $10 per species, its hard not to just do it anyways.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    That is the way I understand it as well. Last year (according to hunterstrailhead.com) it took 4 points (100%) & 3 points (45%) to draw 63. It took 3 points (100%) & 2 points (80%) to draw 83. So with 2.5 points there is good chance you might draw 83. I got lucky last year & got a 63-2 leftover. 63-2 is the east half of the unit. Who knows how many it will take to draw it this year? With 2.5 points you certainly have some good options. I think it is awesome that you our taking your daughter on an antelope hunt. Wyoming antelope is the best western hunt to cut you teeth on. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the tips. I really wanted to try for the unit just east of Farson, as I hunted elk there two years ago and got familiar with the area (and seen antelope everywhere), but with the drought, winter kill and points required...opted to search other choices. The country all pretty much looks the same to me anyways.....
    I still have no clue why my daughter picked antelope. No telling how that mind works some times. She's got a couple very nice caribou bulls under her belt now, and shot her first black bear last spring. Now she's got antelope in her sights, and wants to start bowhunting....she's definately her daddy's girls.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    That's cool she loves to hunt, maybe she will end up like my little sis Jen. She is hunting machine!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    That's cool she loves to hunt, maybe she will end up like my little sis Jen. She is hunting machine!
    Yep! Get em started young! I am a hunting machine now, no stopping me!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My daughter is 6. It won't be long!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That too is my understanding of the point system, but what a great way to get your daughter started hunting with antelope!...That's how I got my wife started hunting...she loves it now...and we make it a family affair. We can all participate in the others harvest...great opportunity to record your hunts too....Good Luck!