Thread: Changed my mind

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Changed my mind

Was planning on trying to draw a muley tag in CO this year or hunt elk OTC if we didn't draw. But now we have decided to apply for antelope in WY 106 with 2 points. Might be able to pull these tags in the special draw. Also want to apply 2nd choice region E for mule deer and save our points. hunt 97 or 96 if we draw. About a 24 hr drive so trying to get 2 birds with one stone. I know this isn't a good year to apply for WY with the conditions but wont be looking for monsters just some decent bucks and a fun experience since this will be our first trip west. Plan on being there close to 2 weeks. I'm hoping we can fill 2 antelope tags in 3 or 4 days. We won't be too picky. Then spend the rest of the time trying to find a mule deer since I think this will be much more difficult. Any info or help would be much appreciated since a scouting trip is out of the question and this will be our first time out west. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can fill two antelope tags in 1-2 days. Concentrate the rest of the time on deer. Honest, I've never hunted antelope for more than a few days, even for a better than average buck. A mature muley will take a bit of work in those areas but they are there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree but I've always hunted them on opening day of rifle season. I'm assuming you guys will be rifle hunting antelope & mule deer? 106 opens on 9/21 & E opens 10/15. If you are rifle hunting & wait for E to open, or a few days before. You will probably not see any antelope hunters. Sounds like a good game plan to me! E is not a bad tag at all. I've been in the eastern part of E but never on the west end. Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Got another option for you. If you didn't want to spend the extra $ on the special tag. With 2 points you can draw 48-2, which opens on 10/5. It is a good unit with lots of animals & good access. Just a thought, you could hunt it first & then go on west to E.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes we will be rifle hunting. Probably try to get there around 10/11 or 10/12. That way by opening of mule deer we should be finished chasing antelope. I haven't looked at the western side of E much either. I think there is some wilderness area but not much. I have mostly looked at the eastern side in units 97 and 96. Finding a decent mule deer buck is what I am most concerned with. I will look into 48-2 for antelope also. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Looking into a 2nd choice for antelope and was wondering if anybody has spent any time in 16 or 113?