Hybrid View

Thanks

WY DIY Bear hunting

I am considering heading out to WY to try a DIY spot and stalk spring bear hunt this year. Was wondering if anyone was willing to give me any ideas on where some good bear populations are in the state or where a good area to start a spot and stalk hunt might be?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Yellowstone... sorry I couldn't resist.

Thanks
    I guess the first question is where would you be coming from (which state)? Which part of the state you want to hunt?

Thanks
    I dont care what part of the state, just looking for an area with good bear numbers.

Thanks
    Phelps, I'm planning on doing my first spot and stalk bear hunt in WY this year as well. The WY G&F has the numbers of bears harvested in each area available on their website. Here is a link to the 2009 numbers. The Green River area has the most bears harvested and that is where I will be hunting. I guess you have to take into account the number of hunters and the size of the area as well but since this is right where I live I'm going to give it a shot. Good luck with your hunt, hope this helps.
    http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/...20to%20266.pdf

Are you planning on bow or rifle hunting?
    Last edited by elktracker; 04-01-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks
    I wont be able to make it out there until late may, but plan on taking my bow and rifle. Thanks for the help. I have a hard time finding info on the WY game and fish web site, espically on bears.

Thanks
    Most years some of the qoutas are filled by the end of May. I would consider Mid May although there seems to be alot more snow this year, end of May might be the ticket. Hunted the Hoback area in years past, lots of bears.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gon4elk View Post
    Most years some of the qoutas are filled by the end of May. I would consider Mid May although there seems to be alot more snow this year, end of May might be the ticket. Hunted the Hoback area in years past, lots of bears.
    I have bow hunted for elk in the Hoback and saw a few bear tracks. I can tell you that I saw TON of bear tracks in the Jedidiah Smith wilderness area on the west slope of the Tetons. Also saw both grizz and black bears back there, but I dont think it would be available to non-res since its a wilderness area. There is some National Forrest between the wyoming border and the wilderness area though, and I did see a good bit of bear sign there as well, but it was also during the fall a few years ago.

Thanks
    Sorry to bring back an older thread but do the WY wilderness laws remain in effect for NR hunters in the spring?

Thanks
    Scott, the Wyoming Game and Fish regs state that all non-residents must be guided by an outfitter inside wilderness boundaries. To my knowledge that is regardless of season.
    See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. ~Colossians 2:8~