Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

Smile Arizona Elk

Hello all, I've helped my son apply for his first hunt, an Arizona junior cow elk hunt in area 22. I've also applied for the 22 bull elk hunt later in november. Just wondering if anyone has a tip or two for an extremely excited dad and ditto for the kid about the cow hunt, and figuring I would use the cow hunt as a scouting trip for bulls *IF* we get lucky and draw one or both hunts. I'm not looking to cherry pick your secret spots..just looking for some general info about area 22 and how we might go about putting ourselves onto a herd. Secondary, he's in the area 23 cow hunt as second choice, if anyone wants to chime in..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    How are the draw odds? Do you have points?In general, Arizona is a tough state to draw but has amazing trophy potential. Good luck if you do draw!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have any points, so realistically don't expect to draw this year.. the kid though, I think his odds might be around 1 in 3, so it's a possibility. I've read that area 22 North late rifle season has fairly decent odds but can be a tough hunt. I had to work around Idaho deer schedule as we should draw this year there. If you have any tips for the cow or bull hunts around Payson that would be great. I'm not looking for specifics, just what to look for and expect. Then there's Nevada. I'm wanting to start collecting points for your state, but really not sure where..had been looking in to area 6, 10, 221, 231. From what I gather, 231 is the hotspot right now. My dad used to go to 6 and do well, but hasn't been there in years. I'm not out for a once every 10 years hunt, I'd like to draw something every 4-5 years if possible.

Arizona's Mogollon Rim and White Mountains
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Get in good shape for hard climbing. There are lots of elk, but they stay in the thick oak brush in the steep canyons. Try to get high, downwind of course, and look down into the brush.
    Good luck to your son, and to you, too.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities;…” -George W. “Nessmuk” Sears-

Thanks
    Congratulations
    23 antlerless juinor rifle took 4 bonus points in 2012 (100%). With 0 bonus it was a 3.9% odds of drawing. 22 North late rifle took 6 bonus points in 2012 (100%). With 0 bonus it was 5.8% odds of drawing. You want draw if you dont try though, good thing in Arizona everyone has a shot! Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    22 can be a hard hunt but an easier draw, especially with a couple of points. Getting a cow should be easy. Hunted there for the late rifle and wife got a nice 6x6. A lot of quad hunters and trails. Area can be hard to glass because of thick areas and not a lot of high spots to glass from. Best advice, get away from quad roads, hike until you find a lot of fresh sign and concentrate on that area. Some areas are easy going and you can cover distance. If you draw send a PM and can be more specific on location. Good luck on the draw!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input. I'm hoping my boy draws his junior tag, but sounds like odds aren't good. From what I've read, a lot of people say its an easy draw, but then others say its not. Time will tell. If we score, I'll definitely contact you! I appreciate the willingness to help!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Repost if u draw a tag I'll lend some help ur way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks AZ, will do. When do they usually start charging credit cards? My boy has been asking almost every day! Gotta say I'm pretty hopeful myself!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I read in the Huntin Fool where state of AZ has increased the number of elk tags for 22 north rifle from 100 last year to 350 this year... Can anyone confirm this?