Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N. CA
    Posts
    456
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 74 Times in 45 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dying to kill View Post
    BigSur- iv been looking at the viper hd 60x it dont appear to be much bigger than the razor hd compact, their both around the same price, more power for same money not much bigger, any thoughts?
    The Viper HD you're referring to is a 65mm scope and is twice the weight and almost 5 inches longer than the Razor HD 50.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Got cha , What about quality of glass for the money ? Think the compact razor hd 50 compact is the best bang for your buck?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yes it was the 85mm i was talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantbvfd View Post
    Are you talking about the 85mm? Im confused... the viper is heavier than the razor line in the same mm. They don't have a 50mm in the viper line.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Anderson, CA
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dying to kill View Post
    Got cha , What about quality of glass for the money ? Think the compact razor hd 50 compact is the best bang for your buck?
    It all depends what you are going to use it for... if you are going to get one spotter to do everything my recomendation would be the razor 65. For the price you can't beat it.
    The 50mm is a lightweight compact spotter that is geared more towards someone counting ounces. 11x-33x

    The 65mm is a middle of the road. It is 23 ounces heavier than the 50 and 17 ounces lighter than the 85. 16x-48x

    The 85mm is big scope that has a larger FOV than its smaller brothers. It will do excellent in low light and long distances but weighs over 4 lbs.

    There is a lot more to all these scopes. If you have any specific questions let us know.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 310 Times in 237 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantbvfd View Post
    The 85mm is big scope that has a larger FOV than its smaller brothers.
    Actually the 50mm has the widest FOVs, the 65mm is next widest, and the 85mm has the narrowest FOV range.

    The 85mm will be much brighter at the same magnifications as the smaller scopes.

    SCOPE eye rel. CF FOV Length Weight
    20-60x85 Angled 18-20 mm 16.4' 117-60' / 2.2-1.1░ 15.3" 65.7 oz
    16-48x65 Angled 18-20 mm 11.5' 138-75' / 2.7-1.4░ 14.1" 48.4 oz
    11-33x50 Angled 20 mm 11.5' 191-96' / 3.6-1.8░ 10.3" 25.0 oz

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The high plains of Colorado
    Posts
    597
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 65 Times in 59 Posts
    Congratulations
    7
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hey BB, What is your experience on the vortex 2x doubler. I have an older 25X 50mm fixed leupold that I like carrying, I just wish I had a little more power sometimes. Do you know what the diameter of the piece that slips over the eye piece is? Have you looked thru this ?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Anderson, CA
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Actually the 50mm has the widest FOVs, the 65mm is next widest, and the 85mm has the narrowest FOV range.

    The 85mm will be much brighter at the same magnifications as the smaller scopes.

    SCOPE eye rel. CF FOV Length Weight
    20-60x85 Angled 18-20 mm 16.4' 117-60' / 2.2-1.1░ 15.3" 65.7 oz
    16-48x65 Angled 18-20 mm 11.5' 138-75' / 2.7-1.4░ 14.1" 48.4 oz
    11-33x50 Angled 20 mm 11.5' 191-96' / 3.6-1.8░ 10.3" 25.0 oz
    I swore Paul just did a review and he said the 85 was the largest.... my bad

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 310 Times in 237 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    Hey BB, What is your experience on the vortex 2x doubler. I have an older 25X 50mm fixed leupold that I like carrying, I just wish I had a little more power sometimes. Do you know what the diameter of the piece that slips over the eye piece is? Have you looked thru this ?
    I have looked through it. It fits the standard Vortex eyepiece diameter, and I don't know, but I think it is too small for the old Luepy roof spotters. My impression was it would work for a quick look, but degrades image quality noticeably.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    299
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil dude View Post
    Thanks....super helpful review to actually see them side by side. Basically what I picked up is if you don't own an ed 50 already, it looks as if the vortex is the way to go with slightly better glass and the fine focus option.

    The only con I picked up is that roll down eyepiece? How big of deal is that. It looked like a pain in the butt compared to the twist up on the minox. All in all a rather sloppy design flaw? But, not enough to dissuade you from the vortex I guess.
    From looking at the video, they have the stiff eye cup because of the cover - the eye cup has to be stiff enough to hold on to the cover. Obviously, they put the priority on the cover.

    They may not have used the twist eye cup to keep it simple or because of legal considerations, Nikon or Minox may have a patent on the design or some key part of it.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Golden State
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    From looking at the video, they have the stiff eye cup because of the cover - the eye cup has to be stiff enough to hold on to the cover. Obviously, they put the priority on the cover.

    They may not have used the twist eye cup to keep it simple or because of legal considerations, Nikon or Minox may have a patent on the design or some key part of it.
    I wonder how they get away with the body style. They look very similar as well.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65
    By tkeslar in forum Optics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 02:34 PM
  2. Vortex Viper HD vs. Razor HD
    By hoshour in forum Optics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 03:36 AM
  3. Vortex razor vs talon
    By Fink in forum Optics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 11:33 PM
  4. Vortex Razor HD and ZEN ED2 spotters
    By Muleys 24/7 in forum Optics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM
  5. New Vortex Razor HD
    By Mt-thomas in forum Optics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-24-2011, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •