Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

ED 50 or Vortex Razor 11-33X50....should I wait

New member here located in western Montana. After much exhaustive research and trolling these forums I decided my first scope would be a Nikon ED 10-30X50 compact spotter. I was extremely excited about it as it seemed the perfect fit for my lifestyle. I ordered it from BH photo over a month ago and am still waiting but now I see that Vortex is entering the compact spotter market with their Razor HD 11-33x50, sometime this spring from what I can tell.

My question being, the Nikon has always received raving reviews for what it is and I was more then pleased with my choice.....but should I wait and see on this Vortex compact spotter coming this spring. Or is the general feeling that the Nikon will still be on top. Both compact, both ED glass, both look to be in that $650 range.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would wait for the new vortex personally. The warranty alone is huge. Not to mention all the razor hd glass I have looked through is incredible for the price. I think the new 50 mm will be an excellent product and as good of not better than the ed 50. But only time will tell.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have to stand up for Nikon and their warranty... This last fall I borrowed my buddies and stripped the threads that mount the tripod. 100% my fault being impatient and not used to his tripod. I was sweating this one as Nikon said that is not covered under their warranty since it was no default of the product. Sent it in for repair.... $22.00 and the sent my buddy a brand new scope. Now there are a few companies I support simply due to their customer service.... Cabelas, REI, Patagonia.... and now Nikon. Superior service and high quality products.

Here's the good news... You have a good problem to have, probably can't go wrong. But my vote - Nikon.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Vortex has a No Fault Lifetime Transferrable Warranty.

Montana,

Had it been a Vortex, it would have saved you $22.

That said, looking closely at the two designs, my guess would be the performance is VERY similar. Looks can be deceiving, though, and the Nikon has the advantage of a greater eyepiece selection.

The Vortex also has a dual focus knob.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks everyone. I was hoping everyone would have more of an opinion (like normal). Even the warranties are basically a wash. I was wondering whether the vortex outer shells are tougher in general. That is the one thing I noticed about the ED 50 comments was that it didn't seem to beefy. It is a high end optic so only so much can be done. Being in Montana we can't get our hands on any of these items unless we order them.

Maybe it will come down to availability. The ED50 has been on order for a month now. I did notice that the ED50 is one of the few items on the web where you google it and can really only find one maybe two places who carry it (and that's not even in stock ever)

Any more thoughts are appreciated

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In regards to it being beefy>>> Keep in mind they are after a light weight product>

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    I'll have my new Vortex Razor 50 Saturday. My Nikon ED50 angled is for sale if any of you are interested.

Yes, I'm selling the Nikon to fund the Vortex. I'll find out shortly if it was worth it. Side by side comparison to come by Monday if I still have the Nikon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigSurArcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BIg Sur Archer

I will wait for your review on Monday. Where did you find the Vortex 50mm for sale already. A side by side coparison will be much appreciated. I'm thinking of cancelling the ED 50 order today especially if I can get the vortex already. Keep us posted

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    I was on a waiting list with ElkNut Outdoors since around the first of the year and Vortex just started supplying some of their dealers, luckily I'll have my hands on the first batch he receives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BigSur... Let's chat on your ED 50... Any chance of selling the body only?