Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fishlake late or Bookcliffs late elk

I am leaning towards Fishlake. Has anyone ever hunted the late rifle? I have had numerous people tell me that they see a ton of elk and around 6 to 10 bulls a day. I would shoot a 350 bull in a heart beat. Just looking for any advice from experienced Fishlake hunters, Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    A 350 bull is a good bull anywhere in Utah right now, and a pretty high standard for a late rifle elk tag. I have been applying for elk in Utah for 20 years and have been diligently watching what the various units have been producing. From everything I have heard, Bookcliffs has better quality elk on average than Fishlake. But if you are after a 350 bull you'd be better off in one of the top 4 units, San Juan, Pahvant, Beaver, or Boulder.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    350 bull on either of those late hunts would be a tall order. A good bull from either unit on a late hunt would be in the 320 range. At least that has been what I have seen and heard. I have hunted the Book Cliff archery hunt before and have spent a good amount of time on the unit, rare to find bulls over 350 even in the rut. It can be done, just not the norm.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for both of your replies. I am stuck in the mind set of the mid 2000's. My mom drew the pahvant in 2006 and shot a 340 bull and we were a little disapopinted as we saw much bigger ones later on, she just misjudged hers. My father-in-law drew the dutton late that same year and shot a 375 bull. I have just heard so many different things about Fishlake that I do not know what to believe. I have heard that you can see numerous bulls each day, while I have also heard that it is overrated and over hunted and you will only see maybe 1 or 2 bulls a day and small ones at that.
    Last edited by Rasmussen; 02-12-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I archery hunted FL archery a few years ago. My opinion, 320 is what you'll find. You shouldn't have trouble seeing bulls if there is enough snow to push them down. Some of that country is a jungle. The ones that were out in the broken country got shot during early rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Bob. Have you ever been there in November? Would you say your archery hunt was a quality hunt? Thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It wasn't the holy grail that I had heard it was but I passed on multiple bulls. Others I talked to never even had a chance.
    I haven't been there in Nov but have heard they slaughter the cows if they get enough snow to push them all down to the flats. Knowing the area like I do now, I would be applying there if I wasn't on the wait list. I don't see a lot of late season chatter. You might look at monster muleys and search the utah forum. Also UtahWildlife.net forum.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks a lot.